Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Health anxiety

(7 Posts)
verytiredmummy1 Mon 27-Mar-17 19:07:49

I have horrendous health anxiety.

If you have got better after having health anxiety what was it for you that helped you get better? Nothing is helping me!

harverina Mon 27-Mar-17 19:13:32

Following as I'm in a similar situation at the moment. I'm having CBT sessions but in the past three weeks I've been awful 😥

lovechocolate123 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:28:32

CBT helped me. A book called Overcoming Health Anxiety by D.Veale helped too. I find distractions help me e.g going for a walk , talking to a friend, colouring etc... I am much better but I wouldn't say completely cured. Think it will always be there but like any anxiety I try to manage it.xx

FlouncingInAWinterWonderland Mon 27-Mar-17 20:55:25

DH tried all sorts of therapies but whats has worked best is goung NC with his mum. Very extreme but very extreme circumstances.

Have you regressed to where yours became an issue?

From that point of NC we set up regular appointments with GP. DH had to note all new anxieties but not google or discuss them with anyone, dont feed the anxiety - verbalising seeking reassurance is like faning the flames, until the GP appointment.

This wan't completely smooth going and I did get called a lot of names along the way and accussed of being totally unsympathetic. These GP appointments however, went from frequent to the stage that he's been only been once in several years due to work requiring a sick note.

He's not cured but his quality of life is so much better. He cant do illness with the DC or assess his own. We can reasonably calmy discuss any symptoms he has and begin to rationalise and agree a course of action. But hes not allowed to repeat or focus on the obsession dejour. I take the conversation back to it being how we manage the anxiety longer term not the immediate obsession.

So much around anxiety is a vicious circle. If your anxious you don't sleep, lack of sleep makes anxiety worse. If you're tired there's a tendancy to eat more junk which affects digestion and sleep and general health.

We have no eating cheese after 8pm, try not to eat after 9pm, drink just water, milk or decaf coffee after 9pm. Alcohol in moderation i.e. one can of cider with tea can actually help wind down for the evening, more than three cans and it has a significant negative impact.

We also have a small dog that in part was brought into the family to boot grumpy negative morning DH out into fresh air for 20 mins. The air makes a big difference to his mood. It is a chore to force this, especially when hes not in a good place, but it is a really quick easer of anxiety, getting air.

Don't give up. Each minute and hour you cope is an achievement. Set yourself little goals and reward yourself when you achieve them.

lovechocolate123 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:29:37

Flouncing- what is NC?

FlouncingInAWinterWonderland Mon 27-Mar-17 21:32:00

No contact. Sorry, i used to hate accronyms but have fallen into using them.

Vidorra Tue 28-Mar-17 13:59:00

I got better in the past with CBT and beta blockers.

Unfortunately it is now back, flared up with real health concerns going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now