Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Trazodone

(5 Posts)
Givemelotsofgin Fri 24-Mar-17 15:45:02

Over the years I've been prescribed various antidepressants, Prozac, Paroxetine, Citalopram, Mirtazapine. It's been suggested to my GP that I try (I think) Trazodone. Has anyone else been prescribed it? What are the side effects like? My main gripe is with weight gain, which was one of the reasons I stopped Mirtazapine.
I don't really want to take any of them but feel those around me and work think I should. (I'm signed off atm.)

SloanePeterson Fri 24-Mar-17 15:48:30

Trazodone saved my life a few years ago. For real. I'd tried several antidepressants that made me want to jump off a bridge. My problem was more anxiety anyway. But these somehow kept the anxiety to a copeable level, just under the surface. I lost weight on them too. The only side effect I had was a welcome one, they were like being knocked out for me so I took them last thing at night. I'm a terrible insomniac normally so this was great. You can only try them, and it sounds like it's really worth a shot x

Givemelotsofgin Fri 24-Mar-17 16:01:26

Thanks SloanePeterson. Anxiety and lack of sleep is a problem for me as well.

SloanePeterson Fri 24-Mar-17 16:04:26

Are they giving you any other help? I went on these to ride me over on the waiting list for cbt, which I think was about ten months. I'd come off them before cbt finished, with absolutely no problems at all. They were a definite life saver for me, but cbt is what really made the difference. I've never felt so bleak since, despite life throwing a hell of a lot of crap at me in the meantime x

Givemelotsofgin Fri 24-Mar-17 17:08:29

I've just finished a course of CBT, my scores were worse at the end! I'm accessing counselling via work but this will only be a max of 6 sessions. My GP has referred me to psychiatry, which feels very scary, but I've struggled for probably 30 years and things are far worse now than ever before. I've recently started seeing a health kinesiologist, which I don't really understand but have sunk so low I'll try anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now