Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Diagnosed with PND

(3 Posts)
Betterdaysahead Fri 24-Mar-17 14:39:41

I was diagnosed with PND today. The "baby" is 14 months and to be honest I've been finding things hard since he was born but I kept expecting things to get better. Things deteriorated over the past few weeks and last night I had a severe attack of anxiety and stayed up all night in a state of panic. I went to the GP this morning as I needed a cert for work and it all came tumbling out.

She has prescribed 20mg of citalopram and has also given me a few xanax to get me through the bad days over the next few weeks. I don't know how to feel - I really didn't want to take medication but I know I can't go on as I have been. I'm worried about the next few weeks and how I'm going to cope with work and the kids if I have side effects. I suppose I feel scared.

Joto369 Fri 24-Mar-17 19:53:50

Hi there didn't want to read and run. I'm way past children now but I had PND after both mine. I felt very scared but I'm still here and relatively sane 😉😉 it is good that you got help quickly so don't be afraid take all the help you can get. Your children will be fine . You may get side effect you may not but they will pass. Make sure everyone whi loves and cares about you knows and they will be there to support. Keep.posting here too xxx hugs flowers

Betterdaysahead Fri 24-Mar-17 20:17:16

Thanks Joto it's nice to hear from someone who is out the other side. I took my first citalopram this evening and feel quite calm now a couple of hours later. It's a slightly drunk feeling. I haven't slept since Tuesday night so I'm hoping for sleep tonight. My GP gave me xanax to take if I experience any more acute anxiety episodes in the next few weeks while the citalopram is kicking in so if I can't fall asleep i have that as a back up and it should help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now