Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram stories

(48 Posts)
wonderwoo Thu 23-Mar-17 16:32:54

I started citalopram two days ago. Feeling awful today.

I just wondered if anybody has any positive stories about citalopram, to inspire me? How did it help you?

Do the side effects where off after a while? If I keep feeling like this I won't be able to continue sad

fallenempires Thu 23-Mar-17 17:24:00

What side effects have you had so far?
The first week to ten days is always the hardest.Just remember to go easy on yourself.flowers

wonderwoo Thu 23-Mar-17 17:36:26

Thanks fallen.

Disturbed sleep and vivid dreams, which I can live with.

But today I am so foggy and tired, headache, feel sick. Came over very hot and woozy and really thought I was going to pass out. I cannot think straight at all, and cannot drive because I don't feel safe. I am sure there is more but I cannot think straight enough to verbalise it now! My kids have watched A LOT of tv today!

I go on holiday in ten days. Not sure whether to persevere now or not, because I don't want to feel like this on holiday, and I have to be able to drive otherwise we cannot go. Its only four days in a caravan but its our only holiday and so is important to us. I am thinking of stopping the citalopram now and waiting until we get back. Its a bit borderline because I will have been taking it 12 days when we go.

Have you taken it and how was it for you fallen?

paddypants13 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:53:35

I've been on Citalopram since 2014 and I do remember feeling worse than I had for about two weeks when I started them.

Once they got into my system I felt much calmer and able to deal with life in general.

fallenempires Thu 23-Mar-17 18:01:27

Those are all the usual early side effects.Are you taking it in the morning as opposed to at night?
I think that you should feel more settled by the time the holiday comes around,but I don't blame you for avoiding driving,I did for a week.
I have taken Citalopram twice in the last 8 years,most recently last Spring.Felt groggy and weird for a good week,embarrassingly enough bumped into my neighbour at the local shop and could barely string together a sentance!Was paranoid that he thought that I was stoned!grin

wonderwoo Thu 23-Mar-17 18:36:54

The first one I took just before bed at night. Last night, I took it about 7.30pm in the hope it would disturb my sleep a little less.

I don't know what to do now. I feel like it would be a good idea to stop for my holiday, but having got two days under my belt, it seems a shame to start again later.

I do feel a bit stoned to be honest! But not in a nice way... I have been avoiding people today in the knowledge that I wouldn't be making much sense!

wonderwoo Thu 23-Mar-17 18:38:14

Thank you for your replies btw. For some reason I haven't told the people closest to me about this. I will do, don't know why I am struggling to talk about it. But your replies have made me feel a little less alone.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Thu 23-Mar-17 18:40:21

First few weeks are brutal.

If you can, stay home. If you can afford to, get signed off.

Lots of nice treats, lots of Netflix, lots of hot water bottles on the sofa. First week is the worst.

sunshinesupermum Thu 23-Mar-17 18:42:56

If it's any help I take mine in the morning even though GP told me to take it at night. Hope you feel better soon flowers

wonderwoo Thu 23-Mar-17 19:34:04

First few weeks are brutal? Oh dear. Think I will stop for now and start again after my holiday.

Thanks again. Sorry you have all been through this too.

olympicsrock Thu 23-Mar-17 19:55:11

I felt a little weird for a few days but then felt fine. I have been taking it for 6 months with no problems. It has really helped. I ran out of them a few weeks ago and 4 days later had the same awful anxiety that I had before citalopram. It made me realise that I much prefer the calm focused happier version of myself.

Facefactsnow Thu 23-Mar-17 20:00:04

I took it and hated the spaced out feeling it gave me. I didn't feel present and horribly sick. I stopped almost immediately and switched to another... I feel so much better now. I genuinely believe that some just don't suit certain people

JustHavinABreak Thu 23-Mar-17 20:02:59

Yes that sounds quite normal. I have been on it for about 10 years now and had similar side effects for the first few weeks. Once it was established in my system everything settled down again and I'm not exaggerating when I say that drug has saved my life.

AnotherYellowBelly Thu 23-Mar-17 20:03:25

It was awful for a week or two, but after 3 weeks I began to realise I felt really different in a good way! I feel calm and more inclined to do stuff and can deal with things that don't go to plan normally rather than in an anxious mess.
It still feels strange when I don't react/feel the way I did for so many years!

Kerryb79 Thu 23-Mar-17 20:05:12

I felt ok after a couple of days and feel a million times better for taking them.

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Mar-17 20:06:01

Please do persist.
I took citalopram. It did make me feel out of it for a short while BUT it made me well enough to tackle CBT and make changes. Then I SLOWLY stopped taking it.
I've been off it a couple of years now I think and I'm doing so much better. If I feel a bit low I know how to tackle it.
Good luck.

AliciaMayEmory Thu 23-Mar-17 20:08:45

I took citalopram and didn't have any side effects luckily. I took half a dose each day for the first week, then a full dose the second week, as recommended by my GP. I also took them at nighttime. I hope it passes quickly for you, OP. They did me the world of good and after 18 months I slowly came off them. Take care and be kind to yourself.

Mamiormod Thu 23-Mar-17 20:10:49

I started 2.5 months ago, took me 10 days to get over the awful feeling, felt sick hot and sweaty, the dreams have continued but otherwise i feel much better. I take it in the morning with breakfast, helped with the nausea. I would recommend giving them a dew more days to give them a chance. Hope you feel better soon flowers

fallenempires Fri 24-Mar-17 00:08:14

wonderwoo lots of us here to support you as we've been through it/going through it.Keep posting if you're struggling.smile

Orangebird69 Fri 24-Mar-17 00:13:21

I know it seems like a long time but give it a couple of weeks. I was on 40mg a day for about a year (and beta blockers). It really does get better. Hang in there. Whatever you do, DO NOT come off it cold turkey. Good luck. You'll be fine flowers

Papergirl1968 Fri 24-Mar-17 00:20:08

Think the instructions may say take at night but my GP advised me to take it in the morning. Took about three months and several changes of dose - 10mg to 20mg to 40mg - to work properly.
Hang on in there.

wonderwoo Fri 24-Mar-17 10:05:39

Thanks again everyone for your replies. It is a big help.

I just couldn't decide whether to continue with the meds last night. Only because I am worried about the timing of the side effects ruining my holiday which starts on day 13. In the end I took a tablet, then immediately regretted it. Since then, I have changed my mind about whether to keep going or not about a million times!

I spoke to a pharmacist this morning, and she said that I should see some reduction of side effects between days 7-10, so I have decided to keep going for 10 days. If no improvement by then, it gives me time to stop taking the tablets and for it to get out of my system for the holiday, and I can then try something else when I get back.

I actually feel okay this morning... a bit hot at times, but nothing that is really bothering me. Fingers crossed it continues like that. Yesterday was awful and I woke up so worried that today would be the same or maybe even worse. My poor kids were literally just kept alive yesterday. I just want to get to the point where I play with them more... between chronic illness, depression and various medication side effects, I have felt awful recently and I haven't been there for my kids in the way I want to be there for them sad

Sorry for the waffle. This thread is really helping me.

JustHavinABreak Fri 24-Mar-17 16:27:40

You poor thing. There's no doubt about it, some meds just don't suit some people so it can be tempting to just give it up. However, Citalopram is known for its lousy side effects so you're not alone in this. Onice you get through this grotty phase, you won't know yourself. A word of warning though...if you do decide to come off it, please don't go cold turkey. It can have a dangerous rebound effect. <Hugs>

Harvestmoonsobig Fri 24-Mar-17 16:35:43

I'm on day 28 of 20mg. I had a really bad day on day 5 but sat through knowing it was a short term side effect. Now feel very chilled and laid back.

Started taking them as a consequence of major life upheaval and felt I could go over the edge with the high levels of terror anxiety. Not having those now. Will stick to 20mg.

Wolfiefan Fri 24-Mar-17 16:38:39

I'm glad this thread is helping. There were many days my family just got by. I could hardly manage the minimum.
So much better now. Hoping the side effects subside soon. Don't suddenly stop taking them if they don't though. That's a very bad idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now