Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline and stress

(6 Posts)
Joto369 Thu 23-Mar-17 09:09:44

Called my GP this morning to discuss being signed off from work - doing three peoples jobs at the minute. She suggested sertraline. My symptoms have eased a lot (spaced out, insomnia, anxiety attacks) but there is some residual anxiety when at work. On an evening and weekend I feel ok. I have a 17 mile commute each day so being drowsy is not an option. Same with insomnia which I've just got under control. I'm having counselling and CBT is in the pipeline. What I feel I need is to remove myself from the source of stress which is unreasonable demands at work. The support they are offering is negligible. Plus I'm not even being paid any more for the privdledge!

fridaygirl2 Thu 23-Mar-17 22:14:30

I reluctantly started taking Sertalin in October due to stressful job, which I really dislike at times, and a bereavement. I have always been a fairly anxious person though. I've found Sertalin brilliant. I no longer get anxiety attacks or shortness of breath due to anxiety and work is easier to deal with. It does sound like your work could do a lot more to be supportive, and it's awful being expected to fill posts of 3 people! Sounds like your work needs addressing but Sertalin could help you in the short term until you can sort out the work situation long term. Best of luck x

SlB09 Thu 23-Mar-17 22:24:47

Hard to say without full picture but if you have no symptoms when not at work and its not impacting your life outside of work then medication seems like abit of a jump (there may be more to your history or background than what youve posted?). I would say continue with counselling and try to see if CBT beneficial before considering medication. Concentrate on empowering yourself to say 'no' - us ladies are not good at that!! If the work wouldnt get done then tough poo to your employer!

Joto369 Fri 24-Mar-17 00:30:27

Thanks for the comment. I've been saying no more over the last two days than I have in the past and it is empowering! After I wrote the original post I had a wobble spoke to my mum and went to my line manager again and said which members of staff were asking the ridiculous as it were and we sat and discussed a long term plan but also what I should do in the short term. I work in a school and it tends to be very last minute and chaotic which I find difficult but I enjoy my work in the main. I had a car accident and some personal upsets at the back end of last year combined with the work stress which impacted on me and triggered anxiety and low mood. A few weeks back I was early morning waking, unable to eat properly for anxiety, tears almost constantly and walking round like a space cadet in an awful fog. Now I get the occasional anxiety attack but am sleeping, that awful spaced feeling has all but gone and my appetite is better (not brill) . My hormones are starting to play up (age) though 😉😉😉 I guess I'm reluctant to take something when I don't feel the need all the time. I once took venlafaxine (2004) and it helped hugely but I was in a completely different state - constant panics and depression . I do recall trying citalopram first at the time and feeling much worse and stopping it.

whatisforteamum Mon 27-Mar-17 17:46:47

How are u getting on op I was prescribed sertraline as I was getting anxious and. Could nt drive or go on the bus.so far I haven't taken it as I was too. Busy to collect the pills and was starting to feel slot a lot like my old self.I hope you are doing well.

Joto369 Mon 27-Mar-17 17:51:05

Hi there! I'm not taking them though still have occasional blips of panic and some anxiety. I'm so much better than a few weeks ago though and initially my own gp wanted to give it time as stress symptoms tend to sort themselves out. I am having CBT starting next week though as some of my anxiety is around certain things. Is there any thing you can pinpoint the anxiety to?? I'm glad you're feeling better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now