Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Suicide and young men

(2 Posts)
darknessontheedgeoftown Mon 20-Mar-17 11:45:18

Hi
I recently moved to a small town popn around 8000 in a fairly nice seaside resort in a very different part of the British Isles to London. There have been 2 suicides this year so far and were many according to locals last year. At least once a month someone ends their life. Every single one of these suicides were of men aged 20-35. If you add in suicides recorded as accidental or road deaths I reckon you could be looking at something like one in ten local men in that age demographic ending their own lives. No one seems to know why or what to do. As a man and one who has had mental health issues can I just simply ask that you be aware (you probably already are) how much some men are struggling and how hard it is for us to reach out to anyone. I am fully aware there are more women than men who are diagnosed with depression and who attempt suicide, and every single one of these is a tragedy. I think from what I can see locally that a certain number of the vulnerable young men feel they are unable to live up to the strong male provider stereotype and that they have no place in the world, and women won't want them. I sometimes wish if these men all had a good platonic female friend they could open up to in a way men can't with each other, I wouldn't see the tragic scenes I see too often. Lastly I'd like to thank anyone on here for their support and understanding. It must be awfully difficult to live with someone experiencing this.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Mon 20-Mar-17 21:36:37

Unfortunately this does not surprise me at all. Suicide is the biggest killer of young men in this country. There are some people tackling this, check out Andys mans club on facebook, they are gradually spreading with more groups starting up arround the country. Something I find very positive is the last time DH was going through a low patch (history of mental illness and multiple suicide attempts) one of the lads in the pub took him to oneside for a chat and shared that he had been very low in the past too. It really helped DH. So even little things like that can make a huge difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now