We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Does anyone have PMDD? I need someone to talk to.

(2 Posts)
lifeissweet Thu 16-Mar-17 08:50:25

So...I have shaky mental health at the best of times. I have had depression on and off all of my adult life.

I finally came off the meds last year and have been doing ok.

Apart from one thing.

The week before my period starts I get unbelievably low and sometimes almost suicidal. I am plunged back into feeling like I did in the worst days of my depression. I can't get out of bed. I cry and cry and can't function.

I am at home today when I should be at work. I had to call in sick - and I hate doing that - I just can't manage it today. I feel like I'm in a pit and can't see any light.

And I know rationally that I'm absolutely fine. In a few days, the bleeding will start and I will feel 100% better, but I can't rationalise myself out of this hole right now and it starts a spiral because I hate myself for not getting a grip and pushing through.

This is actually the first time I've called in sick because of this. I can usually cope. But this month I am a complete mess.

What the fuck is wrong with me?!

nemoni Sat 18-Mar-17 08:19:02

Hormone fluctuations have a lot to answer for. Have you spoken to your GP? They should have some useful suggestions and advice, and sound like you might need some support?

This video popped up on my Facebook feed a few weeks ago, not sure how true it all is but did make me think about how I feel (tired, grumpy, angry) in the few days before my period: http://www.self.com/story/this-video-shows-your-entire-menstrual-cycle-in-2-minutes

Hope you're feeling a bit better today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now