Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Hobbies or things just for you.

(11 Posts)
ilovechocolate07 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:31:10

I'm a part time working, married mother of two. In the past I have struggled badly with anxiety and bdd (which rears its head often but somehow I manage to get on top of it enough to 'live a normal life'). The other day I was speaking with some other mums who began to talk about their hobbies including sports, choir and classes. When I was asked what I do I was completely put I the spot. Besides the odd fitness class 8 years ago and reading a few pages of my book I don't do anything else. What do you all do just for you? Does it help your wellbeing? The kids do lots of things that take their fancy. Maybe I'm missing a trick. My mum never did anything just for her enjoyment, sadly still doesn't and she suffers badly with agoraphobia, anxiety and depression.

flowerfairy Wed 15-Mar-17 20:00:50

Hi. Saw this message and it so reminds me of myself. 12 months ago suffered very bad work-related anxiety and low self-esteem. It has taken me a while but have tried to maintain a half hour walking time each day where I've forced myself to go out even in the rain and used a distraction technique so I wasn't focussed on my anxieties and worries, which costs nothing. Have also got a colouring book and pencils which is just mine, not to share with dd. Also since Christmas I've taught myself to crochet by using youtube and tried to complete small projects rather than something big. So I've managed to find some me time again which was seriously lacking in my life for some time. Though it has taken a change of job to achieve this too.
Hope that helps to give you some ideas.

KanyesVest Wed 15-Mar-17 20:09:26

I do knitting in fits and starts and I try to run/exercise 4 times a week, mainly to manage a health issue. Neither is particularly chat worthy though. I've promised myself I'll dig out my Italian language cds soon though - when ds is at school in September I'll have one morning a week to myself and our library has a conversational Italian group I'm going to join.

dangermouseisace Wed 15-Mar-17 21:37:49

I do running and go to a club once a week- that is my sacrosanct time that no kids activity is allowed to disrupt- it's the one evening I get priority! I fit the rest of my runs in around kids. I like running club as people (in most clubs) just accept you as who you are…if you want to chat that's good, if you just want to run, that's also good. Most runners I know are deeply aware of the link between running and mental health.

I also go to yoga during school time. That's really good as the teacher says quite a lot of positive stuff- some teachers are just about the poses but she's not, it's about the mind as well.

Both these things are really quite fundamental to my wellbeing and I find it is important to keep going even when I don't 'feel' like it.

I think it's important to do something just for you that has nothing to do with kids. Otherwise life can be a bit drudgy.

AnxiousMunchkin Thu 16-Mar-17 06:54:16

I'm not a parent but do work very long hours and volunteer on top of that, I tend to overcommit myself when my mood is high and then struggle to keep up with myself when it crashes. Developing regular things just for myself really helps with that.

My big two are gardening and yoga. I also have activities that I can do in the evening, that are calming when I'm anxious or keep me occupied when I'm down - colouring books, building adult Lego models, mini craft projects. I also have pets and caring for them is a hobby in itself I think as well as a great source of comfort in the company they provide.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Thu 16-Mar-17 22:23:33

Swimming and the gym are my main bits of me time, that was my new years resolution a few years ago and now its become a vital part of my weekly routine. This years was to meditate for at least 10 mins a day, I lasted 2 months but have let it slide a bit so need to get back into in. I've also taken up knitting in the evenings when watching TV which I find very calming. I like drawing and painting and reading but don't often get much time for those.

WickedLazy Thu 16-Mar-17 22:33:34

I'm into astronomy. Downloaded a sky map on my phone last summer, started working out where all the constellations where, and started to memorise them. Been hooked since. I have a notebook I make notes in, a few guide books, and do a lot of research online. Dp got me a telescope for christmas grin I managed to get this photograph of the full moon through it the other night.

I read a lot generally, online and books, and I like walking (usually with my dog, but sometimes with dp or a mate).

WickedLazy Thu 16-Mar-17 22:47:25

I taught myself to "read" tarot cards before I got interested in astronomy again. Still use them now and again if I have a dilema. I do think they can help you work out how you really feel, plus I found reading about all the different interpretations, combinations, reversals etc and how the cards have evolved over time, really interesting.

delilahbucket Thu 16-Mar-17 22:51:58

I sing in a choir and go to a Pilates class once a week. Both things help my anxiety a lot and they get me out of the house. Particularly important when I work from home so spend most of my day alone.

Coverup890 Fri 17-Mar-17 06:11:46

I ride a motorbike. I love the fact no one knows who you are and its a break from the word mum for an hour or to. I also like to walk. With three children and work sometimes you just need to be alone.

PositiveThinking1234 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:58:55

I go for walks most days unless icy over winter for example it's a 2.5 mile walk. Outside small village I live in. My Son is grown up and has his own Family... it can be hard going. But I definately believe my walks help. Also I take photos of scenery on my walks with my mobile. Some good photos too lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now