Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Trauma work

(27 Posts)
Woollymammoth63 Fri 10-Mar-17 23:15:21

Hi all. Can you just chat a little over the weekend please? Have started some deeper trauma work and might need some company over the weekend. My eyes feel like cotton wool from crying.

araclouise Sat 11-Mar-17 01:46:17

Hi I'm here if you need a chat ❤️

Woollymammoth63 Sat 11-Mar-17 03:17:59

Hi . Am ok for the minute but wondering when it will hit me.

Hidingtonothing Sat 11-Mar-17 03:34:44

I'll check in on you through the weekend Woolly, I tend to be on in the middle of the night so you won't be without a hand to hold even if it's stupid o'clock flowers

Unicornsandrainbows3 Sat 11-Mar-17 04:22:53

I'm here too. Trauma work is hard going, hope you are ok.

Woollymammoth63 Sat 11-Mar-17 07:31:42

Thank you all smile

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sat 11-Mar-17 07:46:28

I will be quite busy this weekend, but I will look in here to keep you company.

Do you have anything planned?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Sat 11-Mar-17 14:04:34

Hi I will be arround, hope you are ok.

Foldedtshirt Sat 11-Mar-17 14:12:08

Look after yourself- can you do some self soothing/ distracting? Maybe if you're feeling ok now go for a stroll in the sun and buy a sudoku book (if you do them?!) and snacks.

Woollymammoth63 Sat 11-Mar-17 17:19:11

Hello you lovely lot thankyou for replies. I felt a bit off this morning and was expecting that, but better this afternoon. Am going out with a friend tonight later on so that's good. Am going to go and get the last of the daylight now outside then have a cup of tea.

Hidingtonothing Sat 11-Mar-17 17:29:37

Sounds like a plan Woolly, having nice stuff arranged and taking care of yourself seems a really sensible way to approach these next few days to me star We'll be here if you need us x

Woollymammoth63 Sun 12-Mar-17 00:34:01

Hello. Mixed day. Kept quite busy because I had pre - planned things on. I just want to keep things moving forward but that's hard when you have to look back.

Hidingtonothing Sun 12-Mar-17 01:03:26

Yes it must be but I'm a firm believer that some things need to be worked through in order to put them behind you and move on, I hope it brings you some peace when the process is over. In the meantime it sounds like you're doing all the right things and, in fact, you are moving forward because you're dealing with the past rather than letting it fester. Any plans for tomorrow? I'll be around for a while yet if you need a chat or a handhold, you sound like you're doing great though, good for you flowers

Woollymammoth63 Sun 12-Mar-17 01:13:15

Hi hiding thanks for replying. Tomorrow nothing definite but have some work to do. What I find with the trauma work is it brings out such mixed feelings it sometimes makes me feel angry with my therapist, yet I understand that's just an outlet and really I am angry at myself / the events. It makes me feel a disconnect from my therapist which I also then find hard.

Hidingtonothing Sun 12-Mar-17 01:37:59

I think it's pretty normal to feel angry with someone who is drawing tough memories and feelings out of you, it's good that you're aware of where that anger stems from though. Does the disconnected feeling impede the therapy do you think?

Unicornsandrainbows3 Sun 12-Mar-17 01:39:55

Yes I understand those feelings perfectly. They're very normal but can bring up so much confusion. Could some of it be transference? It can be (subconsciously) easy to put all the emotions of the abuse/trauma/abuser onto the therapist as it is easier to deal with that way. At least that's what happens with me. A good trauma therapist will completely understand that. I hope you're doing ok. Have you heard of Irest? My therapist is starting it with me and I'm finding it very helpful, though it is hard work.

Woollymammoth63 Sun 12-Mar-17 14:12:42

Thankyou for replies
Hiding: I usually feel she is very calm, supportive, with this subject she always seems more challenging and I feel disconnected. If I felt like that in the therapy I would find it hard to keep going.
Unicorns : yes I'm sure it must be transference since unless she has a problem with this particular topic, why would she appear to be different, and why would I feel angry? It's so confusing.

Woollymammoth63 Sun 12-Mar-17 19:35:27

Hi all how is everyone this evening?

Foldedtshirt Sun 12-Mar-17 20:03:54

Hi Woolly! How are you?!
What are your plans for this evening?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Sun 12-Mar-17 20:08:05

DH and I've had a row about him not looking after himself properly. Worried about him. How are you wooley

Woollymammoth63 Sun 12-Mar-17 23:12:53

Well a bit mixed. it's hard to identify feelings sometimes isn't it, and where they are coming from. Sometimes like tonight it's just a general feeling and sort of unease about the last therapy session. I find this so hard. I suppose that's what trauma up is, it's sufficiently horrible and difficult to cause trauma so it's so hard to deal with.

HelsinkiLights Sun 12-Mar-17 23:27:56

Obviously don't know your situation but it sounds like your therapist is trying to allow the difficult thoughts & memories to be renacted in a safe space to allow you to explore the reasons behind how you reacted but more importantly to for you to get angry, to challenge the situations/person/people in the way you wish you could have done at the time & to help you to help yourself make sense/peace of it.
Transference & countertransference are key characteristics of psychodynamic therapy which allow all previously mentioned to occur.

Hope I've explained this well enough.

Woollymammoth63 Sun 12-Mar-17 23:59:07

Thankyou Helsinki that's really helpful. Feeling a little bit better smile

NolongerAnxiousCarer Mon 13-Mar-17 12:59:58

flowers wooley, I just felt like someone had put my head on spin cycle after psychologist had seen me, I hated it, thats why I stopped seeing him and tried a different therapist. You seem to have a good relationship with yours though.

Woollymammoth63 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:19:29

I do, very good so that's helpful. I find it hard if I feel disconnected though especially at the wrong times, when I feel most upset. But I think it's part of the approach - maybe in trauma work you have to suffer to get it all out .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now