Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

CBT and Exposure Therapy OCD

(6 Posts)
Freshlysqueezed Fri 10-Mar-17 22:30:55

About to star CBT and Exposure Therapy for 12 weeks. I have battled with OCD since my teens and I am now in my 40's but finally seeking proper help. I take AD's which help a bit. I am slightly scared about starting the therapy. Does anyone have success stories or am I doomed to be forever ritualistic and anxious?

CS2006 Fri 10-Mar-17 22:39:44

I'm a mental health professional, trained in CBT. People with OCD get great results with CBT. If you look up Paul salkovskis, he is probably one of the best cbtherapists in the world, it will give you an idea of what to expect as well as some hope. I think he has some you tube clips. Good lucksmile

Freshlysqueezed Fri 10-Mar-17 23:13:40

Great thank you I will look him up.smile

CS2006 Fri 07-Apr-17 22:36:04

Hi freshlysqueezed....just wondering how you're getting on. Hope you're doing oksmile

impossible Thu 15-Jun-17 18:06:12

CS2006 - please any advice for my 15 year old who is displaying signs of OCD. Our gp wrote a very cursory referral to CAMHS but CAMHS have refused to assess him - I'm guessing due to funding and him not appearing to be urgent. I feel sure some cbt would make a big difference to him and don't know where to turn and how to get some. Any thoughts very welcome.

CS2006 Sat 17-Jun-17 22:58:59

It must be very difficult and frustrating for you. Did CAMHS say why they wouldn't assess him?
There are some really helpful CBT strategies tailored to suit young people and CAMHS would be best placed to deliver this.
If you're still finding you're hitting a dead end with CAMHS are you in a position to consider private counselling?
Or you could have a look at the "young minds" website to see if it gives you a few pointers for assessment and treatment in your area.
All this if course will depend on how keen he is to get help?
I will try and do a bit more digging and post again with any more info.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now