Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

citalopram for my anxiety

(15 Posts)
bear28 Thu 09-Mar-17 13:16:11

Putting a fresh thread up as the ones about this are from quite a few years ago.

I have been prescribed citalopram from the doctors and pick it up tomorrow. What should I expect with this medication?

I have looked online but I would be interested to know personal experiences.

I am going on a low dose which is meant to help with my anxiety. This is the only option of medication for me as I tried Porpranolol for my migraines and had severe side effects.

Also if anyone has any advise about being on this medication I would really appreciate it.

girlandboy Thu 09-Mar-17 19:18:14

Hi, you could be me talking. I also went onto Propanolol for migraines and I couldn't stand the side effects, so I stopped taking it.

And today I was prescribed 10mg Citalopram for my anxiety! I took one straight away and so far I feel nothing. I took it about 8 hours ago. The doctor said that I might feel a bit of nausea, but so far nothing.

So I'm watching this thread with interest.

BakeOffBiscuits Thu 09-Mar-17 19:26:28

Hi there, I took it for about 3 years for anxiety and have just come off it. It worked wonders for me and helped so much.

When I first took it, I did feel a bit spaced out for a couple of days but that was it. Within about 10 days I felt so much calmer and happier. Good luck smile

BakeOffBiscuits Thu 09-Mar-17 19:28:45

Oh yes I also felt slightly nauseous for a couple of days but I just had something like dry crackers and crisps handy and ate small amounts frequently, and that helped.

bear28 Thu 09-Mar-17 20:53:00

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I don't know what is up with me but I react to all medications so fingers crossed I get on fine with these. I can handle a few queezy days. Will keep you updated on how I get on with them.

ifcatscouldtalk Thu 09-Mar-17 21:10:03

Hi OP. I am almost reluctant to post as everyone has been so positive. I couldn't stay on citalopram. I had horrible side effects and one night I couldn't stay still or even keep my eyes closed to try and sleep. I am however only one person and I know people on double the dosage I was on who have taken the medication for months and been fine, even told me of the massive benefits of taking it. Everyone is different and you won't know until you take it. Hope it all works out for you.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 09-Mar-17 21:19:40

i was on citalopram for nearly 10 years. It saved my life. So i think its pretty brilliant.

BUT it often has side effects that fortunately for most people are fairly mild. They tend to happen in the first few weeks and generally the positive effects can take a few weeks to work so it can feel quite rubbish for a week or two. Some people will react badly but that doesn't mean ADs can't help you, just that sometimes it takes a while to find the right one.

It is very individual. I had the mother of all panic attacks when i first started but generally felt better so persevered. The panic attacks stopped pretty quickly and i was able to "rideit out" as they happened in the evenings.

Giveit a go, but be aware that they can reduce your risk aversion so keep an eye on that for a few weeks. I don't drive but thete was no way i would be safe to drive in the first week.

Thisrabbitthatrabbit Thu 09-Mar-17 21:41:56

I'm on escatilopram (I think it's the same thing) it's completely changed my life for the better. I've only had one side effect (bedroom related, pm me if you want to know). Absolutely well worth it.

Nickinoo30 Fri 10-Mar-17 12:51:25

Ive just started citalopram (10mg) for the 2nd time 3 days ago. I have to say the first time round it changed my life. I suffer with anxiety stemming from emetophobia.

First time I halved the dose to start and then built up after a week or so but this time I haven't and Im really feeling the side effects. Last night I had 2 panic attacks the likes of which ive never felt before and today Im a bit jittery and also had (tmi) an upset tummy. I will however keep going as I know in a few weeks I will feel so much better and able to do so much more.

My advice is start low and build up. It is well worth it. Keep us updated!

bear28 Fri 10-Mar-17 17:05:11

Wel I've picked up my tablets and even though the doctor told me she was going to prescribe me citalopram she has prescribed me stertraline. Not sure why so going to call the doctors on Monday. Could be because of my reactions from medications in the past but not sure what to think about it. Deep joy! Has anyone any experience with this medication?

MagicMojito Fri 10-Mar-17 19:51:17

Hi, I'm just starting my sertraline tonight. Shitting it tbh. Ive tried on two seperate occasions but gave up both after only one day each (about 2months apart!) After worrying about side effects hmm

Iv started getting physical symptoms from my anxiety pretty badly so i figured the side effects will be worth it to just get back to some sense of "normal" again. Fingers crossed for you and me too Try to stick with it, ive read that if you take it at night you sleep through alot of the symptoms so maybe worth thinking about for you too?

Good luck flowers

bear28 Fri 10-Mar-17 21:58:42

Yeah I've also read that in the beginning you feel tired but the longer you are on it the more awake you become at night after taking it so many people switch to taking in the morning after a month. Will see how we get on. Fingers crossed it goes well for you this time round. I am the same I completely freaked myself out with the side effects. Convinced myself I would get the worst of the worst. We can do this!

elliebee123 Sat 11-Mar-17 16:56:54

I'm 5 days in to my Citalopram experience (for anxiety and panic attacks that started 10 days ago)...20mg now after 3 days at 10mg...today I feel really nauseous and shaky, spaced out etc joined Mumsnet today after seeing some posts about anxiety, it's really helping knowing that it's not just me!! I've heard it takes a couple of weeks for the side effects to ease off, is that accurate?

girlandboy Sat 11-Mar-17 21:57:15

I've had 3 days Citalopram 10mg and I don't feel any different. No side effects so far. Roll on tomorrow!

bear28 Sun 12-Mar-17 12:40:59

Ive been taking my stertraline since friday. Was up until 4am today, even though I took the tablet at 6 and usually go to be around 9pm (I'm a sucker for an early night). I just couldn't settle, i was fidgety, restless and wide awake! I've heard insomnia is related to taking this pill so I've changed to taking it in the morning and hopefully i will get a settled nights sleep! we will see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now