Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Really low today and slipping further

(9 Posts)
ElfrideSwancourt Wed 08-Mar-17 13:57:12

Hello
I have a history of depression had a major depressive episode/nervous breakdown 4 years ago. Am taking venlafaxine and mirtazapine and will always need to take them. I have since retrained in a new profession.
I'm really struggling today- just want to go home and eat my own body weight in chocolate. I had some bad news- I'm on a 1 year contract and would need to apply and re interview for another year. Don't feel like I can do this at all at the moment.
Just want to give up work and hibernate, but I'm looking at 90 books that need marked by tomorrow (teacher).
What can I do that isn't eating chocolate???

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 08-Mar-17 16:06:53

I am tempted to suggest sex.. It is not fattening and uses a lot of energy but you probably don't have the energy right now.

What is work like? is it fun or are you having management problems? Tel us more.
Look at diet, If you are drinking cut down the booze.. easier said than done but booze is really not good for your mood.

wfrances Wed 08-Mar-17 17:31:34

i find extra strong mints help or having a can of diet coke(i cant eat chocolate with cold drinks)
thats shit you have to reapply for your job ,when is your contract up?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Wed 08-Mar-17 18:17:43

I find exercise helpful. I would probably still have the chocolate after, but at least I'd feel better about it.

ElfrideSwancourt Thu 09-Mar-17 05:21:13

Thanks so much for your replies. Sex not an option unfortunately. I did eat some chocolate but not as much as I normally would eat. I have a chronic pain condition so exercise is not very helpful- but I could have done some yoga. Really need to develop some better coping strategies.

ElfrideSwancourt Thu 09-Mar-17 05:24:05

Re work- I love my job and the school but one of the TAs is a complete bitch who is constantly undermining me. Am not going to apply for the job would be too heartbroken if I didn't get it.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Thu 09-Mar-17 17:05:15

I also find meditation helpful.

Is it worth having a chat with one of the senior teachers about the likelyhood of your reapplication being successful. It seems a shame not to go for a job you enjoy because you might not get it if you have a good chance of getting it if you see what I mean. Could also ask them for advice about dealingvwith the difficult teaching assistant.

ElfrideSwancourt Thu 09-Mar-17 18:22:59

They know about the TA but nothing is going to change. Might ask deputy head about reapplying teaching applications and interviews are really time consuming and horrible I think I will leave it. I don't think I'm in a place where I would handle rejection well. Also the TA has completely demoralised me and I feel like a really shit teacher.
Meditation is a good idea thank you.

Privateandconfidentialplease Thu 09-Mar-17 22:15:14

I felt the same way about a job I applied for last year. I didn't get an interview and was so relieved that I hadn't had to go to the interview. But, I am glad I applied. Even though it was really stressful.
If you don't apply then you won't get it. But if you do apply, you might get it. You are a teacher, you have been doing this job already so you could easily get it. I was applying for something I hadn't done before and though I know I could have done it there were people who had done it before who got it.
Try to picture yourself having a positive, successful interview.
You know, the school should really supporting you more. Do they know your history?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now