Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Health anxiety so overwhelming

(6 Posts)
theworriedone Tue 07-Mar-17 17:30:09

I bloody hate it.

I spend my life googling ( I know, I know!!!) and convincing myself I have various illnesses

I do have physical symptoms but I know anxiety can have many physical symptoms so I try desperately to believe its anxiety but I always have this overwhelming "what if?" That I just can't shake off.

It isn't helped that my current worry would potentially require me to have an MRI to rule it out, something that absolutely terrifies me sad

I don't know why I've written this, makes me feel abit better I suppose

TinaMac Wed 08-Mar-17 15:46:22

I know exactly how you feel. My health anxiety is just awful, awful, awful at the moment. It was triggered by a few real health issues last year - involving both me and my youngest daughter. Neither are completely resolved but neither are particularly serious.

I just feel like so constantly full of dread about health issues - I google, worry, search for symptoms constantly. Then symptoms appear and I don't have the resources to cope with the anxiety they induce and the cycle goes on and on. I hate the way it dominates everything. I'm constantly feeling around for lumps and bumps when I'm with my DDs and friends etc and then I start googling things on my phone. The number of illnesses I've convinced myself I have is just outrageous!! But it feels so real - I WISH it would go away!

lovechocolate123 Wed 08-Mar-17 21:54:13

I am exactly the same. Started about 18 months ago. I had to see a counsellor and a had a course of CBT which helped. Have you see a gp about it. My health anxiety was getting so bad I could barely function.

Lonnika123 Wed 08-Mar-17 21:56:28

Me too!!!!! Lump in throat over the past week, which 'I know' is anxiety but can't help but the what if....... All so stressful,

Lucymcr82 Thu 09-Mar-17 11:24:08

I too suffer with this. A couple of years ago, just after having my second child, I convinced myself I had breast cancer. Couldn't function,.crying constantly and went to the Dr 4 times in a week. All fine in the end. Fast forward to now and on birth control but I'm spotting. More so after a poo (tmi sorry) and so back to being anxiety ridden. Doctor says it's the pill, come in next week and they'll have a look but I'm freaking out. Partner doesn't help, mocks me mostly. I feel horrible and like I'm drowning in it...

Flurries Fri 10-Mar-17 19:03:42

This is me. I have convinced myself that I have many different ailments. It gets so bad that the physical symptoms nearly overwhelm me. Just functioning some days is a huge huge battle. I feel like such a fool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now