Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone starting Fluoxetine?

(5 Posts)
ineedsummer1 Tue 07-Mar-17 12:59:42

After 2 yrs of stress and anxiety (breakdown of marriage/redundancy) and I think a near mental breakdown last summer, last week came to a head as I just felt so bloody low and miserable, anxious/stress with new job and nothing to live for (woe me!) I couldn't sleep as night sweats thought menopause but bloods ok so Drs prescribed fluoxetine and I'm on day 5.
My head feels a bit strange like Ive a headache coming on but I feel calm but not much of an appetite, and the night sweats seem to have lessened. I just hope I don't get too much worse as Ive read terrible things on them.
Any other views?

goitregirls Tue 07-Mar-17 16:55:24

My view of fluoxetine is not a good one. I was on it in the early 00s, and to be blunt, it made me suicidal, and turned my melancholic depression into something much more aggressive and scary. So not good. And I can't even say it made me anti-depressed!

Is there a specific reason why your GP prescribed it (besides the obvious depression/anxiety?) Have you been on any other ADs? I'm slightly surprised that your GP prescribed it TBH. I thought it was seen as a bit old school now.

Anyway, you can always change if you feel its not working out for you. There are plenty out there.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Tue 07-Mar-17 16:57:20

I'm on it.

It saved my life. I was at rock bottom.

Give it a chance.

LadyDeadpool Tue 07-Mar-17 17:06:57

I'm on it, same story as KingJoffery absolutely saved my life, that combined with quetiapine is what means I'm still here. Last resort too as we'd tried pretty much everything else. Citalopram worked for a long while until it made me suicidal and I had a mental breakdown.

KeemaNaan Tue 07-Mar-17 21:04:33

Fluoxetine is amazing stuff for me. Sertraline was an endless round of side effects, as was citalopram and duloxetine.

Felt rubbish the first couple of weeks and then onwards and upwards after that. Different drugs work for different people, so if it's helping you, keep going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now