Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Complex PTSD. Seeing counsellor now GP wants to meet

(24 Posts)
WeAreNotInKansasAnymore Mon 06-Mar-17 20:15:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WeAreNotInKansasAnymore Tue 07-Mar-17 00:44:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BretonRose Tue 07-Mar-17 00:58:01


Generally speaking I encourage people to seek as much support as possible. But if you're still in psychotherapy with someone you trust and so are receiving active support, I would say the following:

1. I know that it is a feature of my complex PTSD (childhood neglect, childhood traumas, aggravated by traumas in later life) that it can be extremely retraatising for me to talk about things with people I haven't established a bond of trust with
2. So, given that, plus GP workloads/gaps of specialist knowledge, I wouldn't rush into telling my GP if I didn't know them a bit already
If you do know and trust your regular GP, then fine. If not, don't do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

By the way, I found the website of Pete Walker very helpful re childhood neglect and complex PTSD.

Good luck c

BretonRose Tue 07-Mar-17 00:58:39


WeAreNotInKansasAnymore Tue 07-Mar-17 01:28:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shitgibbon Tue 07-Mar-17 01:51:52

I think she thinks that discussing with your GP may give you an extra layer of support. I would suggest that to take your GP up on this but make it clear that it will need to take some time for the trust to develop.

FYI I have the same diagnosis as you. It's never a bad thing to have more than one person 'on your side' medically.

WeAreNotInKansasAnymore Tue 07-Mar-17 02:33:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

highinthesky Tue 07-Mar-17 02:39:54

It's crucial that you play your GP in here. They will be able to help you access appropriate services that you may not be aware of.

WeAreNotInKansasAnymore Tue 07-Mar-17 03:30:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BretonRose Tue 07-Mar-17 04:41:47

Maybe talk to your counsellor about it. She'll be likely to be aware of other services, and also knows your situation/what is likely to work for you intimately, so she is in a good position to help you reach a decision.

picklemepopcorn Tue 07-Mar-17 06:46:46

I think you need to ask your counsellor what he's/she has in mind from the GP. Explain you do not know your GP and wonder what the GP can offer.

BretonRose Tue 07-Mar-17 09:58:32

Think it was a locum GP that told the OP to see the long term GP pickle.

OP, you could think about seeing the GP again about your skin rash or something similar to gauge whether you are now/re likely to be comfortable talking to her in the future.

If you do decide you want to let your GP know, you could also think about writing a note for your gp about your situation, stating you don't really want to get into the details out with a therapeutic setting, but you'd like to make her aware. Also that you would be grateful if she thought about whether there are any specialist services she thinks you should try to access. Ask her in the note not to ask a lot of questions in quick succession though and explain you need time to build trust. You would need to make an appointment and sit there were while she read the note. I mean, go in and say "I find it very difficult to talk about this so I have written down a brief explanation".

Anyway, goood luck x

WeAreNotInKansasAnymore Tue 07-Mar-17 12:47:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

paddlenorapaddle Tue 07-Mar-17 15:45:29

Z. B

paddlenorapaddle Tue 07-Mar-17 15:46:24

Sorry posted in error blush

RhuBarbarella Tue 07-Mar-17 15:53:40

Hi, I have had the same diagnosis. I would also suggest talking it through with your therapist. Maybe you can write something for your GP together if you come to the conclusion that they need to be told. Otoh, you may conclude that they don't need to be told, or not now. I can understand that it is not helpful to go and talk about it with someone you don't know.

Piffpaffpoff Tue 07-Mar-17 15:55:31

I was told to go and see my GP by another medical professional who diagnosed my PTSD (I didn't realise I had it but then EVERYTHING made sense once they talked to me about it! What a relief) and I wrote down what I wanted to say, what help I thought I did - and importantly didn't - want/need from them. Handed them the note at the appt - pretty much did what Breton Rose suggested in fact, right down to the handing-over-the-note speech!). Had a chat about what help the could provide, took some help, went back a month later for a follow-up, not seen them since.

I think getting on their radar is no bad thing in case you do need further help at some point. Best of luck.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Tue 07-Mar-17 22:03:34

Your GP probably wants an overview of whats going on for you and to check that you have the right support inplace. You don't necessarily need to tell them the details. I've never told my GP the details of my PTSD, just that I'd been told thats what it was and what support I had inplace. She offered to make furthur referals if I wanted them and prescribed ADs which she monitors.

There are good treatments for PTSD, the one with the best evidence seems to be something called EDMR, I had a similar treatment called Eye Movement Integration and it was like a magic wand, the improvement was so dramatic and quick. Mine was not complex, so obviously my results were probably quicker than with CPTSD.

picklemepopcorn Wed 08-Mar-17 06:22:27

Sorty, I misunderstood. Thought the psychotherapist/counsellor wanted you to see GP.
That makes much more sense.

SeriousSteve Wed 08-Mar-17 06:30:03

Hi, I'm in the same position, suffering complex PTSD. You should involve your GP, and treatments at main psychological service, instead of wellbeing/catch-all services. These treatments include psychotherapy and EMDR. You should ask for a referral to psychiatric services too if you need something to sleep, or get over panic attacks. Your GP can prescribed drugs like diazepam but lots are very wary of doing so.

I'd recommend posting in the Stately Homes thread (Relationships) as there are lots of us who have been through childhood neglect and/or abuse.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 08-Mar-17 08:08:44

I suggest you do see your GP.. if only to allow them a better understanding of your underlying situation. At some time in the future it will be useful for him /her to fully know your background.

As to the trust matter, you don't need to tell them everything straight away. Just open the door to future conversations. Please keep us updated.

WeAreNotInKansasAnymore Wed 08-Mar-17 14:51:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Wed 08-Mar-17 18:10:39

I've not been depressed either with PTSD though I have been in the past and so know what that feels like. I had a lot of anxiety and pannic attacks and the ADs took the edge off that.

I don't think you need to worry about losing your current therapist if you are seeing her privately, its your choice and nhs waiting lists are long. My GP was more than happy not to refer me on as I felt I had enough support through work initially, and then saw someone privately for the Eye movement integration. In retrospect I wish I'd pushed for a referal as the psychologist work provided wasn't a trauma specialist and made things worse as traditional talking therapies can retraumatise you. So I got desperate and saw someone privately, if I'd had a referal in I'd have probably been near the top of the waiting list by then.

WeAreNotInKansasAnymore Wed 08-Mar-17 22:04:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: