Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

concerned about my friend's moods

(2 Posts)
manateeandcake Fri 03-Mar-17 12:59:33

I have a very good friend who I've know for years and I've been concerned for a while about her mood swings. She seems to cycle very rapidly from very low to very "up" in a short space of time, and I think this is getting more pronounced. What I'm wondering is whether I should try to talk to her about it.

She's had a tough few years and I have been there for her as much as possible through the difficult times. In many ways she appears to be in a better place now, but I was concerned by some exchanges I had with her recently; there was a day or two when she was clearly depressed, then literally the next day it was "everything's fine" (this is common) and more than that -- she was on a high, talking quite fast, taking on a lot of new things, using words and phrases that didn't sound like her. When she's up, she is prone to spending a lot and fairly impulsive behaviour but nothing that would seem very excessive in most situations. I don't have reason to believe she is a danger to herself or others.

She does not have a history of MH issues apart from one episode of mild depression. There is a family history of MH problems and substance abuse. To my mind, these unstable moods started after the birth of her DC several years ago, though there are also periods when she seems 100% well.

I'm concerned about her but I also don't want to say anything that will make her feel criticised or condescended to. Some of my work is in the MH field which makes it delicate as I don't want her to feel that I am diagnosing her (which I'm not qualified to do in any case) or treating her as a client rather than the friend she is.

I'd be grateful for any advice on how best to support her.

clairethewitch70 Fri 03-Mar-17 13:01:24

She needs to see her GP. I am no doctor be she sounds like she could be bipolar to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now