Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do I tell my GP?

(3 Posts)
Bigyellowtractor Thu 02-Mar-17 18:56:55

I've been on medication for anxiety and depression for over a year and it has vastly improved things. I have had therapy in the past and I am under the community mental health team and have a CPN who I see approximately every six weeks.

Over the last couple of months I've had a lot of work stress. My mood has gradually got lower. I thought things would settle down with time, but it's got worse and I'm now at the point where I feel like I need to do something about it, but I feel so out of my depth.

I'm not comfortable speaking to the CPN. We haven't really 'clicked' and last time I tried to explain, I felt like she dismissed it and said I was still managing to go to work. I've made myself an appointment with my GP for next wednesday, but I just don't know how to tell her how I'm feeling. She's always been very patient and understanding, but I don't know what she can do about this, I'm also worried her reaction will be similar to the CPNs

AnxiousMunchkin Thu 02-Mar-17 19:43:27

What are you thinking that you need to do about it?

You could write something down so you have that to remind you what you want to communicate.

Is there any option to ask to change to a different CPN at all? They must get that request all the time.

mrscrocopop Thu 02-Mar-17 19:47:31

You could look into stress management self help. Something like overcoming stress book. Or ask GP/CPN for medication review/referral to talking therapies/signposting to other useful local services. In our local area there are a plethora of groups/classes/workshops aimed at managing depression/anxiety/stress.
You may have felt dismissed by CPN because s/he is not trained in psychotherapy/counselling & is more used to monitoring meds/giving depots/providing crisis support. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now