Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Setraline - experiences

(15 Posts)
Tweedledee3Tweedledum Thu 02-Mar-17 18:36:40

I have been prescribed setraline for panic, anxiety and compulsive behaviours. Have people found this to be a helpful med? Can I have a glass of wine? How long until I feel better?

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Thu 02-Mar-17 18:37:50

I realise the last question is subjective, I just wonder how long it has taken you to have a positive effect?

whatsonyourplate Thu 02-Mar-17 19:07:57

Hi Tweedledum I'm not sure I can be much help but I started taking Setraline on Friday having previously tried two other ads and I'm finding it better than the other two so far. I'm still only on half a dose though as I come off the previous one.
Most ads say not to drink, it is generally because it can increase the sedative effect. I'm not a big drinker but I will probably have the odd glass of wine, and just take note of how it affects me (and not do it again if it's bad!).
A friend of mine who is bipolar takes setraline and swears by it for when she has low mood.

AddALemon Thu 02-Mar-17 19:14:25

Hi! Firstly well done for seeing the doctor and getting help with this! I was prescribed this ages ago and honestly its the best thing I've done! At the start I felt awful while the tablets were entering my system I felt drunk, had a horrible tummy, but overall it helped with my anxiety and mild depression, I took it after I had a horrible breakup with an abusive exp, im now being slowly weened off it, I was started on 50mg upped it to 100mg and now have reduced it so im only taking 25mg. Good luck flowers

DemonDiva Thu 02-Mar-17 22:30:33

Sertraline is your friend. I went back on it nearly two weeks ago for anxiety, and it has definitely helped already. When I took it before (50mg dose) for several years, I would still have a drink. Definitely push through any early side effects - it is worth it. Good luck!

Mamabooksbabynumber2 Fri 03-Mar-17 11:14:13

The side effects for the first 2 weeks were horrific but I preserved and now I have none and it made a huge difference. My side effects included insomnia, exhaustion, legs twitching in the night and inability to orgasm confused they however all went away (thank God!) wink I noticed the difference by about 4 weeks I think but it was a while ago that I went on it. Didn't take too long to make a difference.

hotchocnbiscuit Sat 04-Mar-17 03:51:40

I had no side effects at all and I noticed a difference after about 2-3 weeks. Been on them over a year now. Really helped me.

BlackMirror Sat 04-Mar-17 06:29:46

I had no side effects either. It's been v good for my anxiety and ocd. Good luck

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Sat 04-Mar-17 10:28:59

Thank you everyone for your supplies. So far, I've felt more panicked and very little appetite. I'm going to persevere though.

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Sat 04-Mar-17 10:29:58

I hope I soon start to feel better.

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Sat 04-Mar-17 18:57:05

No panic attacks so far today smile

BlackMirror Sat 04-Mar-17 21:31:57

Thats great smile

hotchocnbiscuit Sun 05-Mar-17 01:26:18

That's great, it really is the lost effective one I've tried for my anxiety and OCD tendencies.
Nothing has worked well before.

highinthesky Sun 05-Mar-17 01:32:02

Persist OP. It can take 2 weeks to kick in and 6 for a full effect but is otherwise generally tolerable.

Glad you haven't had a panic attack today!

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Mon 06-Mar-17 09:43:52

Oh I hope the constant nausea and jaw clenching eases soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now