Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Deteriorating mental and physical health

(18 Posts)
clairethewitch70 Tue 28-Feb-17 20:27:45

My mental health is plummeting quickly. I have BPD, depression and anxiety. Because of my physical deterioration my depression is suddenly becoming worse.

Scared I will become suicidal again, I become impulsive and can go from not suicidal to very, quickly.

I am spending more and more time in bed, and when working, I am present in body but not in mind. I am taking the day off tomorrow. We own our own business so I won't get sacked, but obviously work will build up.

Several things have caused this flare up. A cold several weeks ago have impacted energy levels, then 3 weeks ago today I had day surgery on my spine. PIP forms have had to be completed (I was on lifetime award DLA), and I am stressed about that.

My DH is very supportive, but I know he can only pick up so much slack from me. He has long term health issues too.

Hand hold please.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Tue 28-Feb-17 21:20:45

Hi,

sorry you are having a tough time. Do you have support from GP and MH services? Do you have a crisis plan inplace if you need it.

clairethewitch70 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:23:38

I see me GP regularly every 2-3 weeks. He makes an appointment for me when I am there. I have been under crisis and home treatment teams in the past and have been an inpatient but currently only under GP as MH care wasn't working for me. No crisis plan in place.

winekeepsmesane Tue 28-Feb-17 21:50:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Tue 28-Feb-17 22:09:32

Another hand to hold here.
Please tell us about what business you run. Is it with DH?

clairethewitch70 Tue 28-Feb-17 22:12:15

My triggers are usually stress based, and also when my physical health deteriorates. Seeing GP next week, if I ring I can't usually get in with the same GP and don't get the level of support with other Dr's at the surgery.

I sent the PIP forms off yesterday, took my over a week to fill in, provided lots of letters which my GP printed off for me, but I am still expecting to lose it. I am not actively suicidal but don't want to go there again. Last time I was taken off a motorway bridge by Police back to MH ward. Thank you wine & nolonger

clairethewitch70 Tue 28-Feb-17 22:13:10

Itsnoteasy - DH and I own a Print Shop. Thanks for the hand hold.

Bluefluff Tue 28-Feb-17 22:16:36

Hi Claire I have bpd too and know how difficult the extreme and sudden mood changes can be especially when these include suicidal thoughts. So another handhold from me. Have you done any DBT at all? It really helped me with impulsiveness, in particular practising mindfulness.

Hope your feeling well soon flowers

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Tue 28-Feb-17 22:19:02

Print shop. Is business OK or are you struggling with cash flow? I do know from experience that can be a very significant stress trigger, especially when some customers are not paying.

clairethewitch70 Tue 28-Feb-17 22:43:45

Yes we have loads of customers who don't pay and I struggle to do day to day work so rarely chase up money, it's all down to me.

clairethewitch70 Tue 28-Feb-17 22:44:00

Business is generally ok though.

clairethewitch70 Tue 28-Feb-17 22:46:33

Bluefluff I have DBT workbooks but struggle to concentrate on them. I have Fibromyalgia and it's associated brain fog. I have dysphagia and struggle to eat and mindfulness wanted me to concentrate on enjoying my food. I panic with food in my mouth and want to distract myself not concentrate on it.

clairethewitch70 Tue 28-Feb-17 22:48:21

My father choked to death and I am convinced I will too. I hardly drink anything, two small cups of tea/coffee a day. I am convinced I have the genetic illness that caused my dad, uncle and grandmother to choke to death. There is no test and I may have passed it on to my children.

Bluefluff Tue 28-Feb-17 22:58:47

I'm so sorry to hear that sad I totally understand why you wouldn't want to focus on that.

I find some mindful things easier to do than other. I usually run a bubble bath, sit outside in the garden and see what sounds I can hear. Or sit and stroke the cat! Something where too much thinking isn't involved and something you enjoy. I know lots of people enjoy colouring but I just get stressed trying to do it neat enough!!! blush. Trying to build up your 'toolkit' is a bit trial and error but it can really help with distress tolerance if you manage to find some things that work for you.

It's positive that you can feel yourself starting to become unwell, that in itself is a good skill to have.

clairethewitch70 Tue 28-Feb-17 23:08:12

Blue GP says I have good insight into my illness. DH is awesome, he looks after me well. He puts up with my mood swings and just gets on with things. At the moment I am working from home, but he still comes home, cooks and cleans and looks after me and my mum who lives in granny annex, and is taxi service to 2DS's.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 01-Mar-17 08:01:53

Just a thought.. you say you don't drink much.... (22:48) ..
Your body is struggling to operate because of dehydration. It is no wonder your physical health is deteriorating... and with it your mental health. Do you have an alomost constant headache?

You need to drink a lot more water... I bet your wee is dark yellow if not brown... you need to drink sufficient that you wee quite a lot and it is pale... Also get to the GP and check for UTI... it is all too easy in a woman if you are not drinking enough. If you have an UTI it will make you a bit out of touch with reality...

good luck

clairethewitch70 Wed 01-Mar-17 10:57:10

Itsnoteasy yes my wee is dark yellow and I have cystitis 3xweek. But it is not as easy as "just drink more". Every mouthful is held and my mouth and I have to convince myself to swallow. I have been hospitalised twice and also paramedic called due to very low blood sugar.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 01-Mar-17 15:22:34

OK, you need to work on that.. somehow not sure how.

Consider the alternative is a hospital visit and a saline drip to get fluids into you. I think you need to discuss this with your GP. Alternatively you need help from DH... Ss soon as you begin to get some fluids into you, you will notice an immediate beneficial effect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now