Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Panic attacks I can't cope

(13 Posts)
Domino2017 Mon 27-Feb-17 22:33:42

I'm so fed up of living like this. I've had them on and off for the past few years, then about a month ago they got so bad just wouldn't stop coming constantly I ended up at the hospital, I'm on propranolol now and saw a councillor last week and I will be seeing a therapist soon for CBT or something like that, I am still waiting to hear from them. I felt like I was getting better the last few weeks until something happens. I'm going through a marriage breakdown which I think set them off bad as it happened when he left. I still feel on edge most days then tonight I heard something between him and his new gf and I started panicking again. So I'm sort of coping ok until something happens, like when the kids go with him, all I do is sit at home trying to calm myself down. My parents are taking us on holiday in June and even now just the thought of having to go on s plane makes me start again.
I'm so exhausted I just want to go to sleep and never wake up. I probably get about an hour or two a day when I feel ok. I feel like no one understands.
Will this ever get better?

Seagullslanding Tue 28-Feb-17 08:50:26

Hey are you ok? I haven't got much advice, I started anti depressants a week ago and also CBT as well.

I'm bumping this post for you, I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon. X

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Tue 28-Feb-17 08:50:38

Yes it will get better.
It takes time and you need help. What helps is to understand you are ill in exactly the saye way as having flu or a thyroid problem. Having a mental illness does not make you a bad person. It does not mean you are worthless or you have ruined your life. It is simply an illness.

That's the good bit. The not so good bit is that the brain is still mostly not understood. Treatment is not as cut and dry as diabetes where you can measure blood sugar and take a measured amount of insulin. Doctors have a range of meds but it really is trial and error as to which ones suit your chemistry the best. You don't want to be patient right now, but patience is useful.

How are you for work and income? is that a source of worry or can you get by for a while?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Tue 28-Feb-17 17:17:29

Hi, it sounds like you are going through a really rough time. I'm glad you have some support in place. Right now is really hard, but it will get easier, you will get through this. Have you tried any meditation or mindfulness. I found it very useful for warding off pannic attacks.

Domino2017 Tue 28-Feb-17 19:22:19

Thanks yes I listen to meditation apps and such.
I'm not working because I was a SAHP when still with my ex so now I am looking for a job and I'm on benefits so I suppose that isn't exactly helping things.
I just cry all the time atm.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Tue 28-Feb-17 21:12:26

If you are not ready for work yet speak to your GP about a sick note. You should be elligable for ESA to give you some breathing space to get back on your feet.

Domino2017 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:02:03

Thank you

Funnyonion17 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:07:07

Look into mindfulness. It teaches you to observe and allow and it passes much quicker and they fade.

AliciaMayEmory Thu 02-Mar-17 19:17:17

Hi OP, I started with panic attacks when I was 17. I'm now 40 and still have bad patches, but have had long stretches of time in between the bad patches where I don't have any. Do you have anything that you enjoy doing that you can distract yourself? I find that if I'm having a bad attack I feel better if I go for a brisk walk to burn off some of the nervous energy. I have this thing where I count my steps and the rhythm of the steps, along with the counting, seems to calm my mind and distract me until it has passed. Sometimes I have to walk round the house if it happens in the night, but may be something like this may help you until the panic passes. And you have to remind yourself that it will pass. And that you will come to no harm. It is terrifying, but after many years I have found my coping mechanisms for when it happens and sometimes I can carry on as if it isn't. I hope that the counselling helps you and that the medication I helping. I've had citalopram which was good and also diazepam for bad attacks and for going on aeroplanes etc.

I'm not making much sense, but I just want to tell you that it will be ok, it will pass and any time you need a hand hold, MN is brilliant at helping and talking to you during bad attacks. I once posted as I felt so detached from the world, I couldn't eat, felt sick, heart pounding, the works, and some lovely MNers took the time to chat to me about their days, what they could see from their window, asked me about my DC and what I had planned for the week, just normal day to day chat, but it helped bring me out of the panic and they even got me eating a banana!

Take care, OP and look after yourself.

AliciaMayEmory Thu 02-Mar-17 19:18:22

Sorry, massive post there!blush

solomonsfish85 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:21:52

Check out at last a life by Paul David. He also has a blog can't remember the name of it. But this book and blog helped me over come my panic and anxiety. Hope you feel a bit better soon flowers

Funnyonion17 Thu 02-Mar-17 20:32:37

It's Anxiety No more, Solomon

solomonsfish85 Thu 02-Mar-17 23:27:14

Thanks funny smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now