We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

PIP no longer paying for MH issues?

(32 Posts)
SarcasmMode Mon 27-Feb-17 19:25:43

How do you feel about this?

gamerchick Mon 27-Feb-17 19:31:30

Are you surprised? I'm not really.

SookiesSocks Mon 27-Feb-17 19:34:03

It worries me.

I support those who suffer with such anxiety it has a negative affect on their daily life. I worry for them and so many others.

RedAndYellowPeppers Mon 27-Feb-17 19:34:17

Yep because people who suffering MH issues just have a bit of anxiety and clearly he knows very well what it means even though he never actually had real MH issues

Not surprising and just the tip of the iceberg. It will get worse and worse.

WetlookWasp Mon 27-Feb-17 19:34:22

No one will really care sad

Dd is autistic, I have no doubt they will eventually shrink the criteria so that those with 'hidden' disabilities are exkuded too.

thunderbuddy Mon 27-Feb-17 19:36:59

No one cares.
I am thankful my Dad who has PTS has hit retirement age so that it no longer affects him.
It will stop the people who just don't want to work and who ring 999 every time they are threatened with being moved to JSA like someone I know and laugh about it afterwards BUT it will kill many many people who just cannot cope.

INeedToDoThis Mon 27-Feb-17 20:03:30

I have just had to have my reassesment, I'm expecting them to take mine away, the issue is I will be unable to work without it as mine pays for me to be able to travel to and from work. Without it I don't earn enough to get to and from work aswell as pay my rent. I can't use buses or trains or walk through the busy town centre alone, and my dp cannot walk me to and from work every day. My gp is happy to sign me off work, she's always surprised I manage to work, but I want to work and pay for myself and my DD. It is a safe place outside of home, and besides being able to support my family I enjoy not feeling useless. My MH is actually worse when I don't work meaning I need more help.

I've never said this, not even about my worst enemy, but i sincerely wish I could make him live a day in my shoes, let him feel the CPTSD, depression, and anxiety among my physical issues and then see him say I'm not disabled.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 27-Feb-17 20:05:46

I think your title is misleading and could make people with mental health issues unnecessarily anxious.People will still receive pip just much less likely to get mobility.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 27-Feb-17 20:07:28

Wow not really disabled ,that's shockingly offensive.

Dolallytats Mon 27-Feb-17 20:38:25

I'm going through the assessment process at the moment. I put in a Mandatory Reconsideration in a couple of weeks ago. This is all very worrying. I wish that a lot of people would stop seeing anxiety as just feeling a bit nervous at times. It is highly debilitating.

I am severely agoraphobic. I can not leave my flat without my husband and even then the furthest I can go is the 12min walk to my daughters nursery. It causes me huge amounts of distress and I can only get there by reciting things to myself, deep breathing and constantly fidgeting. It feels awful. I am rarely out for longer than that half hour.

I struggle to get in the garden (downstairs-flat is first floor) and can't take my rubbish down without deep breathing. I don't live, I exist. I have had counselling, 3 lots of CBT, hypnotherapy and am currently seeing a psycologist.

I have had anxiety for 12 years, agoraphobia for almost 8. I usually say that I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy-I would make an exception for the people that made this decision.

SarcasmMode Mon 27-Feb-17 21:49:39

The thing is And the mobility part is a big bit if you have anxiety / depression etc.

INeed have you took a look at this. My DH uses it (we are both VI) - but it's also for those with MH issues.

SarcasmMode Mon 27-Feb-17 21:51:50

do that sounds dreadful - what a horrible state to be perpetual in. I hope they really do think about at the very least having a gradient / severity system so those in the furthest spectrum aren't left jobless as without being able to be in the public.

Haribogirl Mon 27-Feb-17 21:51:54

People that don't have or understand depression/anxiety think it's a matter of
"Get a grip" " pull yourself together ". "Just do it"

If only it was that easy
Would you really put yourself through hell/physical symptoms

These are the people I WISH IT ON

RyanStartedTheFire Mon 27-Feb-17 21:57:24

As far as I know this is a clarification of an unclear question in the assessment, not a change as such. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I don't qualify for mobility but get enhanced care rate. I also feel the title is alarmist and not accurate.
George Freeman is a massive twat though. Did you catch his 'apology'? Real cop out.

witwootoodleoo Mon 27-Feb-17 21:58:47

Ineed as suggested above do look in to Access to Work. They can pay for taxis to and from work and if you have a supportive GP it's not too hard to get it in place

OurMiracle1106 Mon 27-Feb-17 22:05:07

I suffer from epilepsy. Both absence and tonic clinic seizures. I have absences a few times a week, sometimes it's harmless-watching tele I miss a minute of a programme other times falling down stairs burning myself walking in a road. Apparently I'm safe to go out alone as the absences aren't frequent enough and "whilst they can understand why I would prefer someone with me they doubt it could cause any anxiety" despite having been hit by a car lucky to be alive as a result

I wasn't awarded either when it was reassessed. On top of that they sent my letter to the wrong address and 3 months later I'm still waiting for my mandatory reconsideration.

The assessor came to my home. Was early. Didn't take down all my medications. Wrongly documented my last seizures. Forgot to mention me being around strange men is very hard. (I work in an office of a children's centre there's 2 admins. Both female) due to past experiences.

I can manage. Just without it. But I can no longer afford my counselling so it's a matter of time before I end up depressed and suicidal again.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 27-Feb-17 22:40:23

Sarcasm yes mobility is a big part of mental health issues. That doesn't mean thankfully that pip will not be available for people with mental health conditions.

INeedToDoThis Tue 28-Feb-17 00:25:18

I only get the standard daily living rate, I was advised I'm entitled to more but I've been terrified of fighting to try and get more incase they cut it completely. Thankyou so much sarcasm for sending that link. Right now I am surviving and I don't want to apply for anything I don't need, but if they do take my PIP which the assessor alluded to them doing twice during my assessment, that could literally save my livelihood, I never knew it existed! Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!!!
Also interesting to have the clarification, I'm glad it doesn't mean they will cut all PIP for people with MH, poor that they will cut any of it for people who need it, but I'm glad I misread the article and they aren't cutting it all.

Bluefluff Tue 28-Feb-17 00:32:14

Mental health issues are real disabilities.

I'm fuming reading that sad

I'm housebound with an array of mental health issues stemming from an abusive relationship and don't get anything for mobility. But i do get enhanced rate care so will never fight it for fear of losing what I do have which I'm very greatful for

witwootoodleoo Tue 28-Feb-17 08:48:53

Ineed I'd really recommend applying for Access to Work now. It takes a while to get in place and you don't want to end up with a gap if they withdraw your PIP. Also if Access to Work accept you can't travel to work alone because of your medical issues it will help prove your need if you have to appeal your PIP. It's really easy to start the application and they were very nice when I did mine

INeedToDoThis Tue 28-Feb-17 15:15:01

I didn't want to be scamming the system and applying for things I don't need blush I've faced a lot of criticism because one of my neighbours found out I'm on PIP and told her mom who works where I do and everyone keeps telling me I'm a con artist. If I'm eligible for access to work I wouldn't need the PIP, I literally only use it for my work travel and sometimes travel to take dd out once a week on my own when my friend cant pick us up. I've just realised it probably doesn't count as on my own because she's with me blush
I will definitely apply though, thankyou! It's good to hear they are nice as well because the capita people are horrid.

witwootoodleoo Tue 28-Feb-17 15:57:59

Lovely you wouldn't be scamming the system. You have a disability and you are applying for help and the government considers whether you are entitled to receive that help. You may be using the PIP money for transport to work now but actually the system doesn't expect you to use the money for that because there is a specific support system for travel to work. You could use the PIP money to help you go out with your daughter, to pay for some mental health support, whatever will help you manage your disability.

Please don't ever feel guilty for applying for what you are entitled to. That's what it is there for.

There is so little support for people with mental health conditions that it is a tragedy to short change yourself further because some idiots are trying to guilt trip you for doing your best to get on with your life using the help you are entitled to.

Bluefluff Tue 28-Feb-17 16:07:03

It's such a shame that in 2017 people still don't recognise mental health issues as a disability, and aren't able to acknowledge the significant impact they have on people's lives.

Ineed as others have said you would definitely not be scamming the system. The idiot in the newspaper article hasn't a clue what he's talking about. When he's lived with our illnesses/ disabilities then he can judge. Until then he should keep his trap shut grin

INeedToDoThis Wed 01-Mar-17 00:38:34

blush thankyou both. I will apply and try to hold my head up. I'm surprised that it would be ok to use my PIP for something else, pleasantly so, it would be nice to pay for some psychology appointments, I've been on various waiting lists for 2.5 years blush or maybe even some help at home while I wait for my operation to reattach my shoulder. I've been waiting 18 months and have v limited movement in one arm now which makes some things (such as cleaning the shower/windows) very difficult. blush

witwootoodleoo Wed 01-Mar-17 08:34:48

Good luck smile honestly it's fine to use it for something else- in fact that's what it's meant for smile there wouldn't be a scheme for travel to work if that's what your PIP was for. I hope you're able to use the money to get yourself more help flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now