Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

EMDR for PTSD

(17 Posts)
BoobleMcB Mon 27-Feb-17 17:41:38

So I'm due to start a course of EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) tomorrow morning for PTSD, I've done the background session giving her all the information etc.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this and how did you find it?

BettyBaggins Mon 27-Feb-17 20:22:21

Not had EMDR but would be very interested to hear how you get on with it. I've been reading up on it lately. Good luck!

ThatsALovelyBush Mon 27-Feb-17 20:28:44

I had it about five years ago for PTSD and it worked wonders to help me deal with the anxiety and flashbacks. I think I had three or four sessions and initially I was very sceptical, but would definitely recommend it.

Is there anything particular you're wanting to know?

PastysPrincess Mon 27-Feb-17 20:38:25

I've had EMDR and I would thoroughly recommend it. I too was sceptical at first but after the first session the results spoke for themselves.

I felt like time was really dragging but when we finished 40 minutes had passed; I thought it had only been 10.

Are concerned about anything in particular?

BoobleMcB Mon 27-Feb-17 20:39:55

I don't know really, just in suppose because I'm very sceptical about it too. It all sounds very random and a bit bizarre. Obviously it definitely seems to get results from what I've read.

I suppose I'm just a bit apprehensive I guess

Rattybattycatty Mon 27-Feb-17 20:44:46

Ex partner had it to deal with childhood trauma and it was amazingly helpful. It took a few months and required tenacity...not the easiest experience but so worth it in the end. Wishing you the best of luck.

ThatsALovelyBush Mon 27-Feb-17 20:50:27

It's totally random and bizarre, totally agree with you there. I tried to explain it to my parents what happened in the sessions and "she waves her fingers in front of my eyes and it helps process the memories" made them pull this face hmm

It's totally natural to be apprehensive, it's new, weird and strange. I'd had a few sessions of counselling and therapy with my therapist beforehand when she thought it might be useful for me. I absolutely trusted her that it was the right thing for me, make sure you ask questions if you're unsure of what your therapist is saying and keep an open mind.

You might feel a little bit drained afterwards, but not too bad - I used to do a 30 mile drive back home and felt better than a usual talking therapy session.

PastysPrincess Mon 27-Feb-17 20:52:09

The great thing about it is that its risk free. So if it doesn't help, it wont harm you; It has a very low failure rate.

I believe it works more quickly for single event trauma victims and longer for more complex cases.

alltheworld Mon 27-Feb-17 20:59:12

IT worked wonders for me after just four sessions

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 27-Feb-17 21:02:31

I had it and was very skeptical but it has worked quite well.
Sessions can be tough going as you are reliving things. I had a sleep after each session. Some very disturbing nightmares. All part of the brain processing things I guess.
Then it suddenly gets better. It really is amazing how it works.
I'm not completely cured as occasionally memories pop up but it's very mild now and rare.
Happy to answer anything if I can

MajesticWhine Mon 27-Feb-17 21:23:25

I had it not for PTSD as such but for childhood shitty experiences. I found it helpful and I was highly sceptical.

W8woman Mon 27-Feb-17 21:31:41

Saved my life. I had ADs and every kind of therapy going, privately and on the NHS, and was agoraphobic and suicidal. EMDR gave me the strength to re-build my business in the wake of the recession and start and endure IVF and PND.

I was the victim of an armed robbery and attempted rape a week after a bereavement. My assailants have never been caught. I have crystal clear recall, no flashbacks and only a few flash-forwards. I still occasionally suffer OCD anxiety (untouched by the EMDR) but have had that since I was a kid and now think it's just my personality type.

W8woman Mon 27-Feb-17 21:36:01

Thought about name-changing and decided I wouldn't. I have nothing to be ashamed of, and being able to say out loud the cause of my PTSD is proof I have overcome it.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Mon 27-Feb-17 21:45:02

I had 28 sessions of EMDR and it is a fantastic treatment. However i will say it was bloody traumatic, emotionally draining and exhausting. Take a book with you for afterwards if you are driving especially as you will prob need some time to zone out and compose yourself. Oh and lots of tissues!!!

BoobleMcB Mon 27-Feb-17 21:46:44

Wow...thanks everyone! Well I thought mine was one specific trauma but after speaking to the therapist last week, we think that the trauma in question was just the touchstone and that I've had on going trauma(s) since but just not really recognised them for what they were (I very much bury and suppress things rather than deal with them in any kind of way)

BoobleMcB Mon 27-Feb-17 21:48:29

@W8woman, completely agree! It's NOTHING to be ashamed of. Sounds like you had a fucking awful time. To come out the other side is something to be proud of

Catmint Mon 27-Feb-17 22:21:26

Hi Booble, I had EMDR for anxiety. As PP have said, it's very draining indeed. However it is the best treatment for my lifelong MH issues that I have ever had.

All the best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now