Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do you know when it's time?

(8 Posts)
SmileAndNod Mon 27-Feb-17 16:30:36

I have been on AD's since May 2015. First citalopram and then sertraline. I also occasionally take diazepam for anxiety attacks though i have needed that less and less.

So I think I'm feeling better - a lot if the underlying issues have now been resolved / gone away.

But how do I know if that's because of the setraline or whether I'll be ok to start coming off them?

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Mon 27-Feb-17 16:35:55

In two words.... You don't.

You can only try and find out. and be ready to go back onto the happy pills f things don't work. Given that you have been taking AD's for two years,, I suggest you take it slowly.. Do you have a close partner who can tell you if (when?) you are going out of control? If so get their support because as you probably recall, you don't actually realise your behaviour is changing until way after it becomes quite noticeable to all around you. .

fallenempires Mon 27-Feb-17 16:45:34

It's interesting that you have switched from citalopram to sertraline and have felt better.I am experiencing the same feeling.
I would make an appointment with your GP to discuss cutting down in a sensible way and take it from there.
Do you think that you would be able to recognise any signs within yourself if you started to slip again in the future?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Mon 27-Feb-17 20:35:46

For me both times I have stopped prozac I've just forgotton to take them because I was feeling good and not realised for a week or 2, not the reccommend way to stop I do realise. Both times its been about 6 months after I have felt back to being me again as reccommend though. Managed 10 years inbetween the 2 times and spotted it earlier the second time so didn't get as low.

I'm now on Mirtazapine and starting to wonder if I'm ready to stop or need it a bit longer. I don't feel back to normal yet but just so so tired and I'm not sure if thats the Mirtazapine.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Mon 27-Feb-17 21:40:31

Smile,
If you are going to try comming off, please keep posting all the way. There are good people here who will talk you through what is happening.

SmileAndNod Tue 28-Feb-17 07:19:05

Thank you. I'm so not sure. Sometimes I do forget to take them like PP mentioned.
I just don't know. I'm about to start a new job and I don't want to be suffering at the same time.
I'm erring towards at least waiting until spring is here - I'm definitely affected by the winter.
At the moment im not sleeping so I feel terrible. I have been better since I've been on sertraline though, more able to cope I think and not as irritable. More like me.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Tue 28-Feb-17 08:55:43

Smile,
Then wait a few more weeks. The days are begining to draw out already.. (indeed we could put the clocks forward now) but probably best to wait until after they do change.

I came off citralopraom by cutting down in steps for a month at a time until I was taking half a tablet evey other day. Sadly for you, I can't remember what it felt like to describe for you.

user1488276155 Tue 28-Feb-17 10:32:21

The way i came off my sertraline in all honesty was i forgot to pick up my prescription and then i thought, maybe i'm ok and don't need it. I felt totally fine for about 6 months but i'm starting to think i may need some more

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now