Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Think I need help

(4 Posts)
humanfemale Mon 27-Feb-17 09:44:00

I think I'm realising that I have slipped from managing to just not any more. Gave up drinking a few months ago for mental health and was prepared for a period of adjustment but think I am just very depressed and need to be on medication for a while.

I'm really hoping for some advice on medication. Have tried

Prozac - made me anxious and insomnia
Sertaline (sp) - same
Citalopram - made my blood pressure too low and kept fainting
Mirtazapene - worked brilliantly except weight gain which was unmanageable as I'm someone with an eating disorder
Trazodone - made me feel dead inside

I can't believe I'm back here again, having to make an appointment to sit across from a busy GP in tears and having them prescribe me the next 'line' of AD and the horrible weeks of adjusting, discovering they are not helping, and weaning back off.

Does anyone have any knowledge about maybe some med I could research? I am anxious, been having panic attacks, feel detached and unable to cope, losing confidence, just want to be alone.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Mon 27-Feb-17 16:08:48

Well done giving up the booze.
Can you tell us about other factors in your life.. you mention eating. are you overweight? underweight?

humanfemale Mon 27-Feb-17 16:44:23

Thanks for replying!

I am a totally healthy weight range (22bmi?) but do suffer from bulimia which seems to rear its head when I'm feeling out of control. Mirtazipene was quite bad for the uncontrollable hunger and cravings in that sense - but otherwise mirtazipene has been the only AD I have ever considered to help. Suffer from insomnia and panic attack in the middle of the night so mirtaz was SO great for helping with that.

I go to the gym four or five times a week at the moment, helping a lot with mental health but isn't enough. Walk at least a few miles every day, so fairly active.

Have two kids, great husband. I should be happy... except I'm just not at the moment :/

NolongerAnxiousCarer Mon 27-Feb-17 20:11:59

Your GP will have a much better idea of what is out there than us lot on here. I have heard of someone changing from Mirtazapine to Olanzapine due to problems with weight gain. I thought olanzapine was an anti psychotic rather than an AD though.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with stopping drinking and keeping up the exercise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now