Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety attack, ASD meltdown? not sure, urgent

(14 Posts)
BBCNewsRave Sat 25-Feb-17 18:13:01

Hi, sorry for posting again. Camt relax, feeling completely at sea and so upset. Overwhelmed with everything. Feel unsafe, on edge, like I cant protect myself from other people hurting me. So frightened, cant think properly, so scared just feel people can hurt me and I cant protect myself, i cant look after myself and keep myself safe from their actions. nothing is safe or secure.
Not diagnosed with asd but might have it, so this might be some kind of meltdown. Not sure, just feel so unsafe feel like I need someone to take everything away that I need to do and make everything safe

Any advice, thanks

Joto369 Sat 25-Feb-17 18:20:36

Hi have you anyone you can call or family/friends who can support?

NolongerAnxiousCarer Sat 25-Feb-17 18:24:00

Keep breathing, focus on 3 things you can see, 3 things you can hear, 3 things you can feel. Bring your mind back to what is happening right now. Focus on counting your breathing, in for 3 out for 3.

BBCNewsRave Sat 25-Feb-17 18:25:25

I musn't bother anybody - thats how you lsoe friends.
feel like things are spinning. going to have bath

NolongerAnxiousCarer Sat 25-Feb-17 18:33:24

True friends are there for you when you need them. True friends like to be there for each other.

Bath sounds good.

Jayfee Sat 25-Feb-17 18:35:10

Oh sweetie, this sounds like psychosis, not asd, although the asd could have triggered it. If you really feel like you can't cope, phone Samaritans and ask how to contact you local mental health team. Nobody wants to hurt you, but you need and deserve some help. I wish you love and happines.

BBCNewsRave Sat 25-Feb-17 18:46:32

I dont think its psychosis? MH team do not give a shit. I'm on the "suicide is your own choice" list. Trauma issues. now concerned untreated trauma may lead to psychosis - is this how it starts?

Jayfee Sat 25-Feb-17 19:16:36

I am no expert. However, I know that one symptom is feeling that people want to hurt you. I find it hard to believe there is a suicide is your own choice list. Why don't you call Samaritans for advice. You don't have to be suicidal to call them. It might help.
You will be doing something to try and help yourself. Good luck.

mylongawaitedlife Sat 25-Feb-17 19:22:48

BBC don't know what to say except sometimes I could have written your post, and at other times I still don't know what the answer is.
With me I find that being with other people is worse. They can somehow sense a vibe from me, I weird them out, I feel even more rejected by their reaction to me (and I don't believe it's just paranoia).. I end up with less friends, vicious cycle.

Like you I wonder about psychosis, and also agree that MH really, really, are no help. [Flowers]

SealSong Sat 25-Feb-17 19:23:04

Jayfee, for heaven's sake, what are you on about - psychosis??

OP for what it's worth, I'm a mental health practitioner and while nobody can diagnose you over the internet, what you are experiencing sounds more like an anxiety attack than anything else.
Try to remember this -
- Anxiety feels unpleasant but it won't harm you and it will pass
- Thoughts are only thoughts, they aren't 'truths' -
- Try to focus on relaxing physically - look up 'progressive muscle relaxation' on the internet, and do that
- Keep your breathing low and calm
- 'Reality check' yourself - remember that you are safe, are at home (if that's where you are) and 'ground' yourself by looking around the room and noticing how many blue things or red things you can see (for example) or go through the alphabet in types of fruit and veg or colours.
- Remember that this will pass.
- Do things to distract yourself - go and wash up, listen to music, make a cup of tea, ring someone up.

It's possible that your trauma is related to your feelings of anxiety now. If you are open to MH services can you speak to them at some point and request a review of treatment options? EMDR can be very successful.

Hope that helps a bit

dahliaaa Sat 25-Feb-17 20:26:38

I have no medical training but have experience of anxiety and what you have described sounds very like an anxiety attack.
Although the advice re breathing / relaxing etc is all very good I found that I needed to do this over quite a long period of time to make a real difference.
(So although you can take the worst of it off quite quickly you need to do it daily to make a real difference long term.)
Also try and get into good sleep pattern, gentle exercise (doesn't need to be anything more complicated that walking), calming drinks like chamomile tea, regular meals. Rubbish easy TV, easy puzzles or sewing to just keep your mind on even keel.
Hope you feel better soon x

Jayfee Sat 25-Feb-17 20:58:00

apologies seal song....my lack of expertise..

BBCNewsRave Sun 26-Feb-17 02:48:04

Thank you all.
Hopefully just anxiety. Am under a lot of stress right now. Will be over in a few days. Feeling people are going to hurt me is more a feeling of terror that I can't protect myself from others' actions, in terms of them being incompetent or not caring or whatever. Feel stressed that other people give me more to do.
Feeling bit better now, ready to sleep xx

SealSong Sun 26-Feb-17 17:24:23

Sorry for being a bit fierce at you Jayfee, I know you're just trying to help smile

OP, glad you're feeling better. Do consider asking for focussed help for these difficulties...CBT can help, and EMDR for the trauma. Best wishes to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now