Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Dont want to take the ADs

(12 Posts)
Beth2511 Fri 24-Feb-17 15:52:02

So in the last 5 months i have had a traumatic birth, baby hospitalised 3 times, left an incredibly violent relationship, there are major development concerns about my toddler and my mum has spent 3 weeks in ICU. So i have now been diagnosed with PND and have been put on sertaline... exceot my anxiety is so out of control i just cant talk myself into taking them. I just cant. I want to get better without them, is that possible?

HeyRoly Fri 24-Feb-17 16:00:04

Oh, you've had a rough time flowers

I've been there with the PND and crippling anxiety and I'll say no, you need the ADs. They helped me tremendously. Of course everyone wants to be better without the drugs but please do take them.

It doesn't make you weak or broken. It doesn't mean you'll take them forever.

boolifooli Fri 24-Feb-17 16:04:50

Another one who was helped by AD's. You wouldn't resent an asthmatic using their inhaler so there's no need to feel you shouldn't give them a go. I just knew I wasn't coping and wasn't great to be around so I also had that to encourage me to take it, that I wanted to be well for the people around me, not just myself.

Beth2511 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:08:05

I just dont know how to get past this block in my head

It doesnt help that my mum suffered with depression a lot when i was a child and her ADs made her worse, to the point inwas 8 years old and searching a grave yard in thr middle of the night to find her paraletically drunk sad

boolifooli Fri 24-Feb-17 16:08:25

I think also some families have views on mental health that can hinder people when they should access support. The old view being that we should all just somehow 'cope' and somehow disregard those who historically had their lives blighted by anxiety and depression before modern medicine could support us.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Fri 24-Feb-17 19:11:27

ADs saved my life. As PP said would you feel this way about taking medication for a physical illness? You are not your Mum and I'm struggling to see what ADs would have to do with her getting drunk (though there are some that you shouldn't drink with and alcohol is a depressant so drinking whilst depressed isn't generally advisable)

PollytheDolly Fri 24-Feb-17 19:24:27

You should give them a try at least. You've an enormous amount to deal with. flowers

Rarity75 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:30:22

Hi I understand that somehow you feel you should be able to 'fix' yourself without AD's. I've been there about 3 years ago and believe me things only got better when I started taking them. They equipped me with enough of an even keel to start putting myself back together. And you have to do that for your children. View it as the same as needing any other type of medication. Because it is the same. It isn't weakness or a personality flaw it's an illness. Therefore it needs to be treated. It isn't forever but it is what you need at this moment in time flowers

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Fri 24-Feb-17 22:34:36

Can I offer a persepective.. ?

You can say no but here it is anyway. My wife is insulin dependent diabetic. She takes four injections a day and after fifty years of daily injections ......they hurt. She can choose to not stick four needles into herself every day. But she will die within a few days. It is only that certain knowledge and the experience of loosing control of her blood sugars and how much it really hurts that "encourages" her to take the injections. She can't get better without inkections.

In short the medicine may be unpleasant but not taking it is far worse. Please take the meds you have available.

PacificDogwod Fri 24-Feb-17 22:43:05

Of course you can not take your Sertraline.
You don't have to take them.
They will not make any of the hard things in your life go away or magically make you better.
Then can have side effects (although most people take them without trouble and most with benefit), usually short-lived and certainly reversible if you stopped.
They do not make you 'happy' off their own back.

They are however a Tool in the Tool Box of Depression treatment, part of what may help you to feel better - why rule them out?

What is it that you fear about them? Would it help to articulate what that was and addressing that specific fear?
Just because your remember ADs not helping your mother says nothing about how they will agree with you or how they will help you. You are your own person.

They won't change who you are.
They will not 'turn you into a zombie'.
They won't make you worse - yes, they may give SE, or they may not (more likely). They may not help, or they may (more likely).
You are unlikely to need them forever.
If you have taken them for a few weeks/couple of months without improvement, you could stop and consider something different.

If you broke your leg, you'd accept that you need a plaster of paris and crutches. You'd expect your leg to mend, and you to get rid of plaster and crutches.

This is a similar thing: ADs can help to prop you up while you get better. When you don't need that 'crutch' anymore you can stop - typically after 6 to 12 months.

Nobody is going to force you to take them, but why not try something that has evidence that it can help with low mood/PND/anxiety?

PacificDogwod Fri 24-Feb-17 22:43:21

Oh crap, that was long - sorry blush

blubberball Sat 25-Feb-17 22:12:17

I've started taking ads again today. I didn't want to, but I want to get better. Now I feel paranoid, dry mouthed and can't sleep. Mental illness is so crap. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now