Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety Medication & Breastfeeding

(3 Posts)
iwasagirlinavillage Wed 22-Feb-17 14:23:43

I'm currently taking 30mg Citalopram a day for depression which is helping, however I'm going through a difficult time and my anxiety is extremely high at the moment. I constantly feel sick which means I have no appetite and find it really difficult to eat. I've been to my GP and he said there's not much I can take that wouldn't affect me to greatly (like Valium) or that is safe when passed to the baby from breastfeeding (beta-blockers). I just wonder if anyone has any experience of anything that is safe to use when breastfeeding. Prescription medications, herbal medications, techniques or coping mechanisms. Anything.

I have considered stopping breastfeeding but DD isn't good with a bottle stopping at this point could in itself increase my anxiety.

NolongerAnxiousCarer Wed 22-Feb-17 19:20:59

I found meditation and mindfulness really helpful for anxiety, I used an app called headspace to start with.

iwasagirlinavillage Thu 23-Feb-17 09:17:43

Thank you. I've downloaded the app.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now