Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is this too short-sighted?(for want of a better word)

(4 Posts)
Imogenblue Mon 20-Feb-17 00:11:38

This may not go down well, I don't know, I'm just stuck and unsure as to what I should do.

Diagnosed with depression and anxiety, always been told to take meds for it but never have. One primary reason is that I continually worry about side affects (I don't even take pain killers). Another -probably lesser reason to many people- is what happened when I was given a prescription for some at the pharmacy and was taken into a small room.

Basically, I was told I needed to be an active person or I was going to put on a lot of weight on the meds. Really not what you want to hear when already depressed. However, the only exercise I can do is walking (various problems, waiting for physio) and not for long. So, this weight gain comment really puts me off taking something, as someone who already has body image issues.

Is this silly? Should I suck it up?

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Mon 20-Feb-17 05:26:36

If you have genuine problems doing exercise (plantar faciatis etc) I suggest you soeak to GP about an altnative med.

No point in putting on weight and becoming more immobile then more depressed because you are putting on weight.

AnxiousMunchkin Mon 20-Feb-17 07:54:15

Which meds? Some do have weight gain as a side effect but not all, and not for everyone. I'm losing weight successfully on sertraline for example. You don't know if you don't try, but it is important to feel comfortable with any treatment you have.

Exercise/healthy lifestyle is really beneficial for mental health in general though. I know you're waiting for physio, once you meet your physio ask about what exercise you can do - I have knee & wrist problems but my physio said I should swim, that stationary machines like elliptical/stepper were safe (I'm not a gym person but there are some outdoor ones at the local park), and can continue yoga but avoid certain angles, she also showed me how to strap both joints with tape for added support for long walks/increased activity.

Yoga has been amazing for my mental health actually.

AnxiousCarer Mon 20-Feb-17 18:12:42

Different ADs have different side effects and they vary from person to person. With Flouxatine I sometimes get slight motion sickness feeling for first couple of weeks but haven't evernoticed weight gain. With Mirtazapine I sleep a lot, have put on weight as am constantly hungry, even though I exercise regularly. Maybe go back to your GP and discuss your concerns. Personally I would rather get my head in a better place and then tackle any weight gain, but thats just me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now