Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Pregnant with bipolar. Social services?

(5 Posts)
Amyxmarie Fri 17-Feb-17 15:32:01

Hi I am currently 22 weeks pregnant and have type 2 bipolar disorder. I have a meeting with the perinatal community psychiatric nurse in a couple of days and quite worried of what the outcome could be. I've been told stories of how social services somehow gets told of new parents who have mental health issues. Will I always be under extra scrutiny? I have had a history with psychosis and worry if this could go against me.

AnxiousCarer Fri 17-Feb-17 17:16:59

Hi and congratulations,

A friend of mine is a single mum and has bipolar, she had post partum psychosis when her DS was born so initially needed a lot of support, she had family and SS support and got a lot of support from surestart. I think SS discharded her and her DS when he was about 4, and it was about getting her extra support as far as I know.

My DH has episodes of psychosis (not bipolar) and I have spoken to a CPN from his team about us having kids. They are very supportive and report that they often support people who are becoming parents. The CPN told me that they have to inform the health visitor if there is a child under 5 living in the home of someone they work with. He said this is a standard letter and no other action would be taken unless there were safeguarding concerns. He also reassured me that SS in our area are very supportive of parents with MH needs.

I have had a very negative response from my GP though when I talked about us having children, so I am still nervous about peoples reactions. The fact you are being supported by a perinatal CPN is really good news though. They will be able to talk you through things in more detail and answer your questions. The CPN is there to support you in staying well as you become a mum and I'm sure they will be used to talking through these types of worry.

JingleHellRock Fri 17-Feb-17 17:46:09

Bipolar type 1 (extreme highs and lows), two pregnancies and 3 perinatal psychiatric inpatient stays at two different mother & baby units.
No Social Services referral.

Millie2013 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:48:33

I have a type II bipolar diagnosis and quite a complex MH history and was under the perinatal MH team. Not once did anyone mention SS involvement.

Swettybetty94 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:23:12

Hi,
Hope this post is okay..
I also have bipolar (type 2)
With my first born (he'll soon be 3) I went unmediated, (bad mistake)
I had a very bad pregNancy, and was ill for the first year of his life, many inpatient stays in mother and baby unit.

We're looking to have another one , I know that you can't say medication is a 100% safe and the risks aren't certain but I'm worried without meds, I won't be here for my little boy
did/are you take medication through your pregnancy?

Thankyou xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now