Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Depression

(7 Posts)
scx18x Tue 14-Feb-17 23:09:39

Hi. I'm 24 years old with a 4 year old some. For a good while now I have been struggling. Struggling to get up in the morning get dressed get tides up. Sometime I feel like I just exist, that I have failed in life and am just not good enough. I took a test on the NHS website for depression and scored 22. I know I need to go to the doctors. But am so scared incase they think I can't look after my son. Sounds really silly but in my head it's terrifiying.He is my world and the reason I do get out of bed in the morning.Just looking for a bit of advice from anyone that has or is going through this

Mossop17 Tue 14-Feb-17 23:17:06

hi, couldnt read and run, you have been very honest with yourself and you know these feelings are not good for you, this is a major step to feeling well again. The next one is to seek help, please visit your doctor, they can help in several ways its not always down to taking tablets. They will not think you cant look after your child, they will be interested in helping you to look after yourself. Please make your appointment soon as it can take a while for meds to start working or for therapy to be arranged. In the meantime think of 1 thing per day that makes you happy, something little like "today i wore matching socks!" or i managed to eat my lunch, every teeny happy is a victory to be pleased about, then try to build on your little happy thoughts and help shoo away the not so nice thoughts. Dealing with depression is an ongoing thing, but recognising when its coming and how to dodge it is the key. Hugs to you for braving MN to post, sleep well and feel ready to make the call tomorrow. I have been where you are xx

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 15-Feb-17 04:45:29

It's ok to get depressed*. It doesn't make you a bad person. Just someone who is unwell... As Mossop says, please see your doctor.

*as much as being ill with anything is ok

KoalaDownUnder Wed 15-Feb-17 05:29:30

Firstly, they won't take your son away from you just for this. flowers

Secondly, I've suffered from chronic depression my whole life. Another friend is currently being hospitalised for it. Yet another friend has been in and out of hospital twice in the past six months. We are all professional, highly-educated people in our 40s.

I'm not saying that you will need to be hospitalised; just that it's very, very common. People just don't talk about it the way they talk about a broken limb, or migraines, or other illnesses.

You're not 'broken', or anything like that if you have depression. You have a chemical imbalance in your brain. You can get better.

You need a sympathetic GP who is up-to-date with current mental health medications. Not all of them are.

Please PM me any time if you want to chat.

scx18x Wed 15-Feb-17 15:43:37

Thanks for your replays. Phoned the doctors they can't give ma an appointment until the 23rd x

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 15-Feb-17 22:15:10

That seems like a lifetime away...
But if you keep posting here we will hold your hand until next week.

Tombliblues Fri 17-Feb-17 00:28:47

Could have written much of your OP 3 months ago (and pretty much did, although much much longer!)
Well done making that appointment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now