Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.


(4 Posts)
user1487071689 Tue 14-Feb-17 21:27:11

Hello I am hoping that someone can give me some advice on my situation, I am new to mumsnet this is the first time I have posted a question on here.
This is my situation, I am a single mum who home educates my 15 year old son whom has Aspergers I am my sons carer, we are currently private renting , my landlord wants to sell the property, he has served me a section 21 and I have now received a letter from the bailifs stating that they are coming on the 2nd March at
I have been actively searching for another property for the last 11 months, the problem I have been finding is that as soon as you mention you are in receipt of housing benefit then most private landlords do not want to know . I have been in touch with my local council whom have been reluctant to helping me, they have strongly adviced me to look for private accommadation as the homeless approach is something they do not recommend with my son having Aspergers.
I have got an appointment with my council on Thursday 16 february to do a homeless application. I am just worried as I have never been in this situation before, , my son is very worried about where we are going to live , i am trying to make this as smooth as possible as he worries about everything and I do not want him to have a melt down . He has already had a panic attack over this and ended up in hospital last year because of the situation. I am just worried as to how my son would be if we were put in a hostel as he is not good with strangers also he needs routine and does not like surprises. We also have a little dog that my son is attached to , I have been told that the council will not take the dog . I am hoping that my friend can look after the dog whilst we get sorted out. I am concerned as to what I do with our belongings , what we can take with us in to temporary accommadation. Do I need to have a social worker involved ? If so how do I go about getting one ? if anyone could give me some advice I would be truly greatful .

AnxiousCarer Tue 14-Feb-17 23:26:28

Getting a SW sounds like a good step, try contacting your local gateway to care, thats the single point of access for SS. Does your son have any MH team involved? When DH was homeless his CPN went to the housing ofice with him and explained he was a vulnerable adult. They then upgraded him to one of the highest bandings and he got housed quickly. We had already lost our home by then though so he was homeless.

As for the dog our local council housing allowed pets but emergency accommodation didn't so we had family look after ours for a while. We lost most of our belongings, though we managed to put some into a storage unit.

user1487071689 Wed 15-Feb-17 00:44:09

Thank you so much for your message. I will contact gateway to care tomorrow , I will let you know how I get on. Thank you once again I really appreciate it .

AnxiousCarer Wed 15-Feb-17 09:43:58

No problem hope you can get some help with this soon. Hopefully your sons needs will get you moved up the list. Its a horrible situation to be in. The council has a responsibility to house people with MH needs so the more evidence you can take to your meeting the better. Things like reports from educational psychologist or statement of special needs if you have them. flowers to you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: