Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Higher doses of sertraline

(4 Posts)
AnxiousMunchkin Mon 13-Feb-17 22:47:27

I recently increased sertraline from 100mg (been on for nearly a year) to 150mg, after diagnosis of OCD, the psychiatrist said that 100mg is usually sufficient for depression (and true I've not had as many very extreme low mood episodes on it) but often need higher doses up to 200mg to help deal with intrusive thoughts/breaking compulsive behaviours.

Has anyone else had their doses increased above 100mg and how did you find it? I'll be on 150mg for 4-6 weeks and then the decision about whether to further increase to 200mg is basically mine. Have been discharged from the psychiatrist and my GP will pretty much prescribe either depending on how I feel. Not sure how I'll make that judgement call.

Plus I also have cyclothymia and I'm
slightly worried about the increased dose pushing me high, although that's not been a problem so far. I wish I was high, I'm struggling quite a bit at the moment mood wise.

LuciaInFurs Thu 16-Feb-17 10:06:44

I went from 50mg to 150mg in about three months. To be honest I only saw a slight improvement but not much. DH came along to a doctor's appointment and said that I was a bit better but it wasn't enough. Thankfully the side effects (nausea and extreme headache) didn't get worse with the increase.

If I hadn't have fallen pregnant I would have asked for the increase to 200mg. Sadly, l'm no longer pregnant so my GP has suggested Venlafaxine as it's quite effective.

I agree, I'm not sure how we're supposed to know that we need the dosage increased.

imthelastsplash Thu 16-Feb-17 10:09:55

I've increased to 200 - I feel no difference. Sorry that's not very helpful.

I started on 100 about a year ago and then was on 150 for about 8 weeks before it was increased to 200.

AnxiousMunchkin Thu 16-Feb-17 23:50:13

Thanks for the replies smile it's good just to know I'm not the only fruitcake being pushed into higher doses!

150mg is ok so far, it's been just over 2 weeks now I think. Most of which I spent fairly dysthymic, not going out, not coping with basic tasks, sleeping loads, but the last few days have had a marked upswing in mood (started with a night of 2 hours sleep and then up cleaning/micro organising/making huge online orders I can't really afford - so in retrospect verging on hypomania) which has evened out to a highly functional creative but in control state right now. I was reading about hyperthymia vs hypomania - basically the same level of elevated mood, but whether you retain insight and control or not.

OCD symptoms - no difference yet - but hyperthymic mood means at least I can perform all the compulsive behaviours ok to deal with the obsessive thoughts, and I don't mind about it too much!

I'll give it another 2-4 weeks and then think about 200mg. I have a fab GP, if I'm not sure about increasing dose further I might make an appointment to discuss it with her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now