Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone take beta blockers?

(7 Posts)
NotJanine Mon 13-Feb-17 11:42:06

I have been suffering from mild depression and anxiety for a while now, relating to my marriage and subsequent split.

I did get a prescription for anti-depressents but I couldn't bear the side-effects and stopped taking them. My main problem at the moment is anxiety and it is becoming overwhelming for me. I am going to see a counsellor which I hope will help. I know the theory behind anxiety and am fine at giving other people advice on coping, but can't do it myself.

Beta blockers were mentioned to me before but the gp said they might not be suitable for me as my blood pressure is naturally quite low.

However I'm starting to feel quite desparate as the anxiety is building and although I don't feel depressed as I was, I do feel it's all getting too painful to cope with and I am worried about feeling suicidal again.

So I'd be interested to hear about anyone's experiences of BBs. Side effects, how effective have they been, have they lowered your BP, are they easy to come off?

Thanks

Kennington Mon 13-Feb-17 11:45:52

Yes they are great
I take 20mg in the mornings sometimes, or before a flight for nerves
They do lower BP a bit
I do not take them after 4pm as they affect melatonin production so can interfere with sleep
Limited side effects for me: I work full time and travel a lot and have a kid and they have reduced stress
Work presentations are great as I look so chilled on propranolol
Very easy to come off

NotJanine Mon 13-Feb-17 13:40:21

Kennington - they sound fantastic!

They're not addictive are they?

Kennington Mon 13-Feb-17 13:43:33

Errrr....no not as far as I am aware
And you can take them ad hoc I think too. This is what I do.
The sleep issue was my main problem and just taking them earlier in the day helped.
For me personally they take 45 mins to kick in and last about 6 hours before wearing off. But that is just me.
I can tell they have kicked in by my drop in pulse rate by about 5 Bpm

NotJanine Mon 13-Feb-17 14:04:01

Thanks for the info, really useful. I know plenty of pople on ADs but not BBs

Kennington Tue 14-Feb-17 16:22:50

I haven't ever taken anti-depressants so I cannot comment on these
Your GP will certainly be able to give you better information
All the best!

araclouise Tue 14-Feb-17 16:38:16

Hi I was just prescribed propranolol and I took one an hour ago . I can actually feel myself getting less anxious ! So far so good . 80 mg xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now