Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Health anxiety

(5 Posts)
xjinxyxx Sun 12-Feb-17 18:02:55

It's taking over my life everyday I feel like I'm dying of something and I always think there worse

lovechocolate123 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:30:54

I can totally relate to this I was the same about a year ago. What helped me was CBT. I self referred , had to wait about 1 month or so . Have you spoken to your gp ? Do you take any medication?

PurpleParadise2016 Mon 13-Feb-17 10:45:13

Hi xjinxyxx I am exactly the same, I have also recently found out im pregnant so my mind is running wild with all the possible pregnancy complications that could arise. I have panic attacks on a night and barely sleep as im so scared something will happen in the night to me.
I think im going to bring it up with the DR as I cant spend the next 7 months like this.
How does CBT help in this situation lovechocolate123 as I have heard mixed things about it.

lovechocolate123 Mon 13-Feb-17 20:14:07

It worked for me but I wouldn't say I am completely cured but I am so much better. It's not like counselling. It helps you to see things differently and gives you strategies you can use. I found the book Overcoming Health Anxiety helped too
X

WitchSharkadder Tue 14-Feb-17 18:04:36

I'm in the same boat at the moment too.

I first started suffering from Health Anxiety 6 years ago and was so much better after CBT. Unfortunately, I had a genuine, horrible medical emergency last year which has brought it all back. My panic attacks have been horrendous the past few weeks and I've been really struggling, I have an appointment to go back to CBT in a few weeks but the waiting seems like an eternity right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now