Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

crisis team

(9 Posts)
mypip Sat 11-Feb-17 10:15:08

hello, I waited over three hours to see someone from the crisis team at the mental hospital last Monday, when I saw someone he told me to go home and phone the central access number and basically tell them what I told him. i last saw crisis months ago and only go if need be. I did phone and had a short chat. usually crisis is a better service, caring staff, I've been before but not for a while. my gp says try them again if I need to. anyone reading had similar experience or guidance?

AnxiousCarer Sat 11-Feb-17 10:36:54

In our area you can phone crisis team direct through the central access number and cut out the a&e wait, which is more comfortable for the person waiting, unless you feel you need the support of having staff arround to keep you safe.

mypip Sat 11-Feb-17 11:06:51

thankyou, yes it was a long wait! I did want to see someone though and they've usually been good.

gamerchick Sat 11-Feb-17 11:16:23

Sounds about right. I've never found them helpful though. In fact I wonder what the point of the crisis team is sometimes. To give the illusion there is support and help there? confused

I'm sorry OP I don't know what to suggest flowers

MajesticWhine Sat 11-Feb-17 11:19:48

Crisis teams are hugely stretched and they only really want to get involved if someone is at immediate risk of serious harm to themselves or others.

AnxiousCarer Sat 11-Feb-17 11:36:36

I wonder if they were extremely stretched when you went mypip that may be why you didn't get the usual response. I was talking to CPN recently about a bad experience with crisis team. He said whilst he's not defending the system, the individuals working within it may be jugling 5+ other people in similar or worse situations at the time they see you and arn't always able to give the service they would like to. He did encorage me to compl in though. You may find in the future its back to the normal service you recieve.

Woollymammoth63 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:38:09

Crisis teams are almost more for screening those at risk and offering increased input: home treatment, medical review.

iveburntthetoast Sat 11-Feb-17 12:00:35

Yep, I've noticed my CT becoming more stretched and increasing the level of 'crisis' you need to be in. It's not enough to be suicidal--or even to have plans. You just about have to be in the process of killing yourself for them to intervene. Not to mention the state you need to be in to get a hospital bed.....

mypip Sat 11-Feb-17 13:29:26

thankyou all, I didn't complain but mentioned it to my gp, he said try them again or see the gp. they have been quite good previously. also I've waited over 3 h last two visits compared again to previously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now