Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can anxiety cause problems down there ?

(7 Posts)
user1475795500 Thu 09-Feb-17 12:00:23

Hi I know this will probably come across really odd to a few people but I don't know if stress has brought this on or Iv got some kind of condition . So my anxiety started off as health anxiety all brought in from being in a really bad relationship , since then I have left that was 7 years ago but still the anxiety remains and worse than ever . Now my anxiety is over everything single thing and I'm finding it really hard to want to be here anymore . I'm scared stiff Iv got pgad that's persistent genital arousal disorder . I had pins and needles down there 1st of all and then that turned in to real sharp shocks which would make me jump . Like when your sleeping and fall
In your dream but it would come from down there . Now this has gone on for two years and I can't take no more of it . When I'm occupied nothing happens but I think I'm so scared of having it that I'm constantly thinking and what ever problem goes on down there I'm like right I'm stuck with this forever and it makes my situation worse . Does anyone have any of these symptoms ? I'm really desperate . Thankyou all ❤️

SaltandPepperRibs Thu 09-Feb-17 12:19:14

Hi user, I'm sorry you're having these distressing symptoms, it must be really worrying for you. Have you spoken to your GP about it? if not, that would be the first thing to do, just to rule out any physical cause to what you're experiencing.

Also, have you had any therapy since leaving the bad relationship? Counselling to talk through what you've been through, or CBT to deal with the anxiety could really help.

When we're anxious our 'fight or flight' system kicks in. This kicks off with a massive surge of adrenaline which leaves us kind of like a coiled spring; highly emotionally and physically aroused and ready to pounce. It can lead to tingling or numbness in extremities, usually fingers, toes and face. The fact that it doesn't happen when you're distracted does seem to point to something related to thinking processes, but get this checked out.

The other thing that happens in health anxiety, is that we become super aware of every physical sensation in our body and we start noticing things we wouldn't have ordinarily. And if you're really looking for sensations in your body, you can find them. For example, if I say can you find an itch on your body somewhere, I bet you could find one, just because I've told you to think about it!

So, yes, it could be related to your anxiety, but you need to talk about it with your GP.

user1475795500 Thu 09-Feb-17 12:28:03

Thankyou so much for your reply . It's on my mind 24/7 and ever since reading story's about people who have pgad it's scares the crap out of me ! It's made me scared of anything to do with sex it's sounds so stupid but I can't watch anything with sex or nudity on tv anymore because it makes me feel like I'm going to have a panic attack and it's kind of ruining my life a bit to because sex / nudity is everywhere these days . I watch the same bloody thing over and over again because I know there's nothing on there to trigger my panic off . Iv been to the docters Tuesday and she give me citolopram I think Iv spelt it wrong but I couldn't tell her what Iv wrote on here because I find it really embaressing . Iv not told any one not even my boyfriend . I really don't know what's caused all this . Xxxxxx

SaltandPepperRibs Thu 09-Feb-17 13:04:30

Then, from what you describe, I'd really recommend asking your GP for CBT. You don't have to say why, just that you're having panic attacks. There will likely be a long wait, so if you can afford it, you could look for private CBT. Or Anxiety UK can provide highly subsidised therapy if you're on a low income. They can even do it via phone or Skype to help accessibility.

Don't worry, all the symptoms you describe are quite common and can be treated. You're not alone and you're not going mad smile

user1475795500 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:37:42

Il Defo go back up and ask for help I really need this sorted . Reading the last bit made me fill up and in a good way because it's so nice to hear somone actually say that this is all normal symptoms thankyou from the bottom of my heart . Xxxxxxx

SaltandPepperRibs Thu 09-Feb-17 14:50:23

good luck love flowers

user1475795500 Thu 09-Feb-17 16:13:56

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ il let you know how it goes xxxxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now