Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

St Johns wort

(4 Posts)
smileyreiley Wed 08-Feb-17 23:34:29

I have been feeling very stressed and bit panicked lately
I went a councillor a few months back , and she described how I was feeling as a prolonged panic attack
I would agree!!
I took St. John wort 20 years ago after particularly traumatic event and found it helped a lot
Should I take again??? Anyone any experiences good or bad they could shared???

EllenRipley Wed 08-Feb-17 23:48:52

I took it after I came off antideps, it did seem to help quite a bit and keep my mood stable. It really depends how bad your symptoms of anxiety/depression are, studies have shown it's good for mild to moderate depression. And of course, everyone reacts differently to herbal stuff I think. It's def more gentle than an ssri. L- theanine is good for anxiety and rhodiola is rated too - there's a good website called examine.com that rates supplements according to actual scientific studies rather than anecdotal evidence, might be worth a look?

smileyreiley Thu 09-Feb-17 07:15:02

Ah thanks that's good to know
More of a mood stabiliser and to keep the stress levels a bit more under control!

TheDropBear Thu 09-Feb-17 07:23:34

If you're on any other medication talk to a doctor or pharmacist before taking it. It interacts with lots of medications including contraceptive pills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now