Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Ttc and anti depressants

(4 Posts)
rainbowgirl2016 Tue 07-Feb-17 15:05:29

Hi.

3 years ago I had pnd and was put on anti depressants. I came off them because I wanted another baby. I was off them for a while when I fell pregnant but had a miscarriage last year. A number of things over the last couple of weeks has meant that I've been feeling sad. I'm wondering if I should start anti depressants again because I'm sick of feeling so sad and sick of crying. I'm a bit worried because I want a baby still and I'm not sure whether I will need to stop ttc if I go back on them. Has anyone got pregnant whilst being on them? Thanks

AnxiousCarer Tue 07-Feb-17 16:16:58

Thats one to discuss with your GP they weigh up risks on an individual basis. I think thete are some ADs that are prefered in pregnancy to others. My GP told me I shouldn't ttc on flouxitine amd the NHS website advises against but states there is no evidence of any risks in early pregnancy. Had a read of the research papers and the risks seem to be 3rd trimester for SSRI ADs which are linked to breathing problems. Drs will help advise you about risks to baby v risks to your health without them.

AuntiePenguin Tue 07-Feb-17 16:22:43

Some antidepressants are considered safer than others during pregnancy and breastfeeding - Sertraline is often recommended.

Bear in mind there are some small risks with ADs, but equally there are risks with depression. Your Gp will be able to help you make an informed choice about your best options.

rainbowgirl2016 Tue 07-Feb-17 16:26:01

Thank you. It was sertraline that I was on before so I assume I'd go back onto that as it did help me. I'm just so scared but I know I can't keep going like this x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now