Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Not been out for 4 days

(13 Posts)
Hermitmummy Tue 07-Feb-17 13:26:54

I have anxiety and depression and a 6 month old baby I haven't left the house for 4 days.
There's no food in the house I need to go and do a big shop but I can't make myself get dressed and go out I just feel an overwhelming anxiety.
I'm having CBT but it's not helping I know nothing bad will happen if I go out I just feel better staying at home.
How can I make myself get out? It's a beautiful sunny day and we're sat on the sofa I'm letting my daughter down.

MrsGB2225 Tue 07-Feb-17 13:38:47

Can you do an online shop that gets delivered tomorrow and just grab the essentials?

Do you have anyone that can come with you?

I'm sure your daughter is loving cuddles on the sofa!

ChewyChewy Tue 07-Feb-17 14:35:21

Your not letting your daughter down! She just wants to hang out with her mummy wherever you are!

I don't know how to help you to get out, but I know that when I'm feeling anxious and then I go out anyway I always end up feeling better because it's always better and less scary outside than I think it will be! Xx

NightTerrier Wed 08-Feb-17 08:45:24

Hi, Hermitmummy.

How did it go the other day? Did you manage to get out?

I get social anxiety and struggle with this too and find that it can be easier if I go very early or very late. However, it's best to face it head on if possible, but no harm in building up confidence gradually.

Hermitmummy Wed 08-Feb-17 14:25:39

Hi night I didn't go out I found some batch cooked meals in the freezer so we ate that for dinner and I've been having toast for lunch and skipping breakfast sad

I need to go to the chemist to pick up a prescription for the baby today so I have to go out, just building up the courage.

Hermitmummy Wed 08-Feb-17 21:29:58

Managed to make it to the chemist and get a few bits at the shop almost had a panic attack though sad

I don't know what's wrong with me sad

NightTerrier Thu 09-Feb-17 12:36:04

That's brilliant that you made it to the chemist and although you nearly got a panic attack, you didn't get a full on one. That sounds like a win!

I don't know what's wrong with me

There's nothing wrong with you. You are suffering from anxiety and depression. Are you getting support for this? It's easy for people to say "Oh, it's just anxiety." but anxiety can be really debilitating.

Hermitmummy Fri 10-Feb-17 07:32:09

Thank you smile

I'm having CBT but my anxiety is worse now than when I started. I've been resisting Antidepressants but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take them.

Footle Fri 10-Feb-17 08:21:59

That's something you can do for your baby, hermit - can you start them today? Hopefully someone here with more experience can talk you through the first days and weeks while the antiDs start to kick in.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Fri 10-Feb-17 08:24:47

Hermit,
Meds do work, if you have the right ones.. I take them because I am impossible to live with without them.
Can I suggest you try them.

Hermitmummy Fri 10-Feb-17 09:10:53

I tried sertraline about a month after the baby was born but they made me feel worse my anxiety increased and I had really awful intrusive thoughts so I stopped taking them and now I'm a bit scared to take anything else.

I did discuss trying something else with the doctor but I didn't go back for my follow up appointment because I didn't want to go out.

Footle Sat 11-Feb-17 20:51:56

Did you get out today , hermitmummy? Hope you have some food in and are enjoying your baby

AnxiousCarer Sat 11-Feb-17 21:44:36

I found a combination of Mirtazapine and meditation useful. I found going to the supermarket very difficult for a while. The Mirtazapine took the edge off the anxiety, and I found meditation with the headspace app really helped too. I would do it sat in the carpark before going in and it did help.

Set yourself smal goals, start with going to the gate and back, then to the first lamp post, then increase gradually as you feel able.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: