Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Loss of appetite on Fluoxetine

(6 Posts)
Polkadotties Mon 06-Feb-17 13:56:13

As subject basically. I've was prescribed fluoxetine two weeks ago and told to combine with low carb/no sugar diet. I've gone from 11.4 stone to 10.8 stone. I have low carb'd many times so I understand the big loss when first cutting carbs. But I have hardly any appetite, I've just tried eating a salad and couldn't manage more than a few mouthfuls.
Is this a temporary side affect? I don't know much about anti depressants, all I've heard is that people tend to put on weight

fallenempires Mon 06-Feb-17 14:26:35

Fluoxetine is known for this!I don't have a huge appetite anyway but I did lose weight whilst taking it but not a ridiculously silly amount.How are you feeling in yourself since you started the treatment?

Polkadotties Mon 06-Feb-17 15:40:17

I'm ok. I didn't even know I had depression. I thought I had iron issues and fatigue and my NHS GP wasn't interested. For years I've been going to the doctors and saying a feel exhausted, I exist rather than living etc. I had enough and booked a private GP appointment and the lovely GP actually listened to talk and cry for 45 minutes about how rubbish I felt and that I couldn't carry on living this half life anymore. I have PCOS and she said it's linked to that, hence the low carb diet.
I'm on 20mg taken at night. I'm still shattered and lacking motivation but it is early days I suppose.
I genuinely didn't think I was depressed. I guess I had a stereotypical idea of depression in my head and I didn't 'fit' that.
I have a review with my private GP tomorrow

fallenempires Mon 06-Feb-17 16:12:19

Good luck with the review tomorrow.smile

Polkadotties Mon 06-Feb-17 16:21:26

Thanks fallen I hope tomorrow isn't as emotional draining as last time

fallenempires Wed 08-Feb-17 16:57:37

How did you get on?smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now