Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Feeling desperate please help ! Coming off AD!s lump in throat / choking sensation

(7 Posts)
kerstina Thu 02-Feb-17 13:39:02

Please help I have been trying to get off seroaxt for ages but wasn't expecting this ! Woke up feeling throat constricted with catarrh possibly, not got cold though . When tried to eat lunch throat feels so constricted I couldn't swallow properly and felt like I was going to choke . Anyone any advice feeling really desperate .

EllenRipley Thu 02-Feb-17 13:58:41

Try not to panic, I'm sure it will make the sensation worse! If it's related to your antideps, have you gone cold turkey? Or are you tapering slowly? Your body can have strange and scary reactions if you do it too quickly. Everyone is different in their reactions. This could be an anxiety related reaction - perhaps you've been clenching your jaws or grinding your teeth. I'm not a doctor though, you might want to get one to rule out things like a virus affecting your throat or glands. I've tapered off citalopram in the past and did it more gradually than even my doc recommended (if I remember rightly, a 20% reduction every 4-6weeks - it worked for me as my body seemed hypersensitive to a lower dose). Make sure it's the right time for you to do it. I'd also advise taking a good b-complex vitamin to support your nervous system, get some fresh air and exercise whenever possible. There's also some mildly calming herbs like chamomile and lemon balm that can help (avoid St. John's wort). Hope that helps x

kerstina Thu 02-Feb-17 14:27:46

Thank you yes I have been doing it really slowly . Was expecting panic attacks or dizziness and electric shocks not this . It feels like when your throat restricts when you feel really emotional. But I don't have the emotion just the physical sensation if that makes sense . So annoying as I don't know whether I will be able to eat now so feel so trapped by the medication :-(

Kathysclown Thu 02-Feb-17 14:33:05

I have read recently that anxiety is linked to a feeling of choking/not being able to swallow. I was looking into it as it is something that someone close to me was experiencing. They firmly believe it is a physical issue, but I suspect that they are suffering from anxiety, and this seems to be reflected in what I have read. They have not been on ADs though. They are dealing with it by keeping occupied, having a bottle of water to hand for when they feel it happening, listening to music to take their mind off it - these strategies seem to be working a little. Hope that helps a little.

EllenRipley Thu 02-Feb-17 17:41:13

That sounds horrid. I still had a few bizarre symptoms even with tapering, but they did all pass. Do as much as you can to relax your body. Self-massage your neck, shoulder, jaw?Can you nibble some morsels of food? Try get some calories in, feeling weak and hungry won't help if it is associated with anxiety. Do you feel able to talk to your GP, maybe get them to check you over? If it is related to coming off the antideps, it will be a transient symptom and you need to support yourself as much as possible through it.

MummySquirrel85 Tue 07-Feb-17 12:25:55

Hello, I'm 15 days off seroxat and also have the constant lump in my throat. So yes, definitely withdrawal. What's worse is that my anxiety and depression has hit the roof! I don't know if it's withdrawal or my underlying condition - I'm leaning towards withdrawal because of the depression as I did not have this to begin with. It's a relief to read your post because I know I'm not alone.

kerstina Sun 12-Feb-17 10:57:09

Sorry I am so late replying I have had a week from hell so poorly ended up in hospital A&E three times . Got so dehydrated had to have a drip as was choking and gagging couldn't eat or drink anything for a week . So disappointed with my doctor as the only help he offered to help with withdrawal was an app for my phone then when I felt like I was dying more or less said he didn't believe it was anxiety that I must be physically ill as I looked so unwell. So much for mental health being a priority they don't want to know unless you are suicidal . How are you now mummy squirrel please keep in touch ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now