Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety attack

(3 Posts)
BoxLoadingBaby Sun 29-Jan-17 11:20:31

Just needing people to try and talk me down right now.
Heading to work and a cyclist about four cars length in front of me slipped on black ice as he started turning left into a junction - with his rear wheel and legs in my lane. In normal conditions I had plenty enough room to stop easily.
I reacted but as I hit the brakes, I also skidded.
Luckily I missed him due to my back end swinging out and when I automatically corrected the skid it pulled me away enough that I missed him.
Cuts and bruises from the fall for the cyclist and both of us shaken.
However it's triggered my mental health problems.
I feel sick to my stomach, like a normal anxiety attack but additionally I feel like my head is physically being squeezed at the temples and I cannot concentrate at all.
On duty manager (in another building) is aware but I can't just go home as we are skeleton staff at weekends and there's no one who can take over my role right now.

MissClarke86 Sun 29-Jan-17 11:23:34

I think in this situation even someone without prior mental health issues would be suffering with anxiety. Poor you, sounds horrific.

If you really genuinely can't go home, just try to cut yourself some slack today and rest when you get in.

You did nothing wrong, nothing terrible happened, it was unfortunate circumstance that could have happened to anyone. Don't go over and over it in your mind as there's nothing more to it than that.

And remember, anyone would feel similar in your position so accept that it's okay to feel that way.

AnxiousCarer Sun 29-Jan-17 13:29:49

I'm not surprised this has triggered things for you I think most of us would be very shaken even without prior anxiety as PP said. What would work do if had broken your leg and not gone in today? There must be a back up plan. Ifyou ccan't go home can you take some time out i a quiet place or even in the loo to go through some breathing techneques. Concentrate on the tjings sround yoh that you can see, hear, touch, smell and even taste if appropriat to bring your mind into the present.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now