Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Do i have postnatal depression

(5 Posts)
user1485439391 Thu 26-Jan-17 14:14:24

Hi Everyone,

my baby is now a little over 5 months old, yet for the past month ish I have been feeling very low. I am usually a happy person but I have found myself crying every other day if not everyday. I love my child more than life itself, yet I feel like my patience is wearing thinner and thinner by the day.

I do have health problems and have been awaiting stomach surgery since October, so I don't know whether this is having an affect too.

I'm doubting whether I am actually a good mother anymore. I haven't got the energy to sit and play with my child as often as I did. I'm lonely, my other half works shifts, and I feel like I am constantly talking baby babble or about the baby. My family all live away and my friends all work.

Am I depressed? is it normal to feel like this? can it be postnatal depression even though my child is 5 months old?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 26-Jan-17 14:15:48

Yes it can and wouldn't hurt to have a chat with your GP and tell them exactly what you've mentioned in your OP x

KoalasAteMyHomework Fri 27-Jan-17 12:33:15

Yes you can have pnd at this stage. It might be worth speaking to a health visitor or GP. Some of it might just be down to adjusting to parenthood- it can be so lonely sometimes. Are you able to get out much? I go to my local children's centre a lot and find that the groups really help me. It's social for me and gives my DS something to do without me being the only source of his entertainment and learning. Hope you feel better soon x

KoalasAteMyHomework Tue 31-Jan-17 18:15:38

How are you feeling now OP?

HaylJay Thu 02-Feb-17 00:16:38

Aww you may have it, don't worry it happens to a lot of ladies,
It did with me, I regret that I never had the antidepressants at the time because once I started on them they did help me to bond with DS
Don't worry at all about speaking to your GP x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now