Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Nearly weaned off citalopram.

(24 Posts)
Shitalopram Wed 25-Jan-17 23:19:32

Have been on citalopram for nearly 3 years now. This has been my 7th time on SSRIs over 20 years. Have had lots of short runs of CBT too.

Have been feeling much better and been weaning off for the last 2 months (not with GP advice as last 2 times I felt ready to stop he just cancelled my prescription which was a hideous experience.) They've served a purpose but I don't want to be stuck on them forever.

Because I've done it very slowly this time I have had very few of the harsh withdrawal effects, such as "brain buzzes" or nausea.

I think it's going quite well but I have noticed this last week that I'm feeling all my feelings again - irritability is creeping back in, and so is overwhelm. I know I can manage these but it is a bit scary to come out of the monotone bubble...

Pinkgeek Wed 25-Jan-17 23:24:42

Have you finished weaning yourself off them so no more tablets?

I've been on citalopram on and off for the last 8 years! I have weaned off 4 times. The longest I've gone is a year without them. That year I went to the gym every other day so exercise is definitely key to keeping off anti depressants.
I am currently on the pills as too scared to try again at the moment.
You are doing so well to be trying to come off them and if you need to take them again but perhaps a lower dose, remember there is no shame in needing help.
Best of luck flowers

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Thu 26-Jan-17 15:15:19

Well done you.... winewine

Now some might say wine is not a good idea but WTH?

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Thu 26-Jan-17 21:34:01

Well done you! As already has been suggested hit the gym! Remember your CBT, meditate. The last bit apparently is the hardest, you can do it

Shitalopram Thu 26-Jan-17 22:46:50

Thanks everyone! Down to 5mg every other day now. Going to move to every 3 days next week. Was on 20mg a day at the start of December and have been inching it down very very slowly. I know I'm ready. Thanks for all the encouragement to have good strategies in place. CBT never did work for me (felt like being told off and morphed into a sort of mocking inner critic) but big yes to exercise and meditation! And am putting lots of happy things in the diary; movie nights, lovely walks, time with friends.

SSRIs have helped carry me out of some very dark times but I'm ready to embrace all my emotions again now. It's like I want to experience all of them because I want to live life to the full. What a difference from the many times I've not wanted to be here at all...

NowtAbout Thu 26-Jan-17 22:50:18

Can you make it even smaller dose but still close two days apart? Might be slower and less of a shock? I always wait when it starts feeling weird for a week or two til levels out again. Well done flowers

Shitalopram Sat 28-Jan-17 20:55:44

Good idea Nowt. I'll try that I think.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sun 29-Jan-17 21:53:42

Can I suggest you hang on for a few more weeks until the days really stqrt to draw out?

Serotonin is a significant hormone formed in response to daylight. As the days get longer your body adjusts by itself to produce more.

Haribogirl Sun 29-Jan-17 22:15:54

I think going to 3 days without any AD is not very God idea, because your brain/serotonin levels will be hit and miss iyswim like one day 5mg then nothing for 2/3 days

I would if me, have a little every day and bring it down like very slowly

clairethewitch70 Sun 29-Jan-17 22:18:27

Citalopram is available as drops which may make it easier to wean off. Drops are put in water.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 29-Jan-17 22:21:43

Once I got down to 5mg every other day I started to feel this as well. My GP said such a small amount could trigger symptoms and to just come off it. I did, and it was the right thing in my case. I'm not advising you to do that, but just offering a different view point.

I reduced really really really slowly. Think it took me 3 months to go from 30mg to coming off them completely. It's so fucking hard, isn't it.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 29-Jan-17 22:23:35

I also agree with the advice to wait a few weeks, perhaps until the clocks change. I deliberately waited until spring to come off mine, but lack of sunlight has a huge effect on me.

Shitalopram Mon 30-Jan-17 22:49:25

Thank you, these are good suggestions. I've decided to wait where I am for another fortnight. Happily I do quite an outdoorsy job so I get a decent amount of sunlight even at this time of year!

Shitalopram Mon 06-Feb-17 18:58:01

Feeling pretty tearful the last couple of days. I know it's just things settling but it's so hard.

Shitalopram Sat 11-Feb-17 14:32:34

I've decided not to taper off any more for now as my symptoms are all back with a vengeance. Trying to see it as an experiment rather than a failure.

Shitalopram Wed 15-Feb-17 03:53:54

Well just thought I would record, for the benefit of anyone who does a search on this in future, that my symptoms came back so hard and fast this last week that I've had to switch back to my full dose as an emergency measure. Was tearful, suicidal thoughts, ready to pack in my job/run away, the lot.

So I guess now is not the right time after all..!

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 15-Feb-17 04:47:53

Oh dear.
Try again another time.. We are here for you.

fallenempires Wed 15-Feb-17 12:38:31

Oh no!
Would you consider switching to other AD's?

Shitalopram Wed 15-Feb-17 17:24:10

I've tried most of them by now fallen but thank you.

I think it's just time to accept I have to manage this thing rather than ever recover from it. sad

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 15-Feb-17 17:50:59

Shitalopram

One of the most useful things I have done is to accept that I will never "recover" from being a manic depressive". It is part of me and I am part of it. By accepting that I can get on with my life and live within my capabilities instead of railing against my limitations.

Wolfiefan Wed 15-Feb-17 17:54:45

I was on citalopram. I reduced my dose by the smallest amount possible and then was told not to reduce it more until I had felt ok on the new lower dose for some weeks. It took months. Not weeks to come off. It sounds like you have come off really rather quickly. If GP is no help them ask for referral to someone who knows their stuff.

Shitalopram Wed 15-Feb-17 18:16:52

I've been asking for a referral to a consultant for 20 years through various GPs but I am becoming convinced that there's something on my notes saying "ignore her." I only see the doc maybe once every two years about it when I've reached a crisis of some sort.

fallenempires Wed 15-Feb-17 21:02:41

This is no way to be living though is it?Other than recommending the obvious what more can be suggested to you? I think that you have been badly let down.sad

StewPots Wed 15-Feb-17 21:06:01

Urrrrgh. I made the silly decision to stop my Citalopram by myself, oh my god it was horrendous. Awful electric shock feelings down my arms, regular dizziness, head fog...terrible. Wish I'd withdrawn properly, if just had enough of being on them at that point. Good luck OP and well done for reaching this stage in your life flowers I've been off them for 2 years now and I'll be honest, sometimes I want to go back on them but within a few days, I'm ok. It's a long road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now