Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Need a boost

(3 Posts)
AnxiousCarer Tue 24-Jan-17 18:45:07

I'm recovering from PTSD. I was in still quite a bad way 3 weeks ago and couldn't cope with even the idea of starting back at work. I had eye movement integration therapy, which was amazing and resolved all my PTSD symptoms straight away. Wow I thought I'm better lets get back to normal. I started a phased return to work last week and managed 5 short days or reduced duties. I found last week tiring but otherwise ok. I'm finding this week harder both yesterday and today I've ended up shaky and muddled at times. I have been trying to do more mentally demanding work this week, and have realised I'm probably not ready for this yet.

I'm feeling so friustrated and the journey back to full duties seems very long at the moment. I keep reminding myself that only a couple of months ago I couldn't even manage to make a cup of tea because my concentration was so bad. Just writing this down I can see how far I've come. Thankfully the anxiety, pannic attacks and flashbacks have not returned, but I am realising that my brain and body have not yet recovered.

I suppose I need to compare it to having major surgery. The problem may have been removed, but the recovery is going to be a long process and I'm not as strong as I want to be yet.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Tue 24-Jan-17 22:42:36

Anxious,
I remember when I broke down. After a month or so I began to feel better and I thought I was ready to face the world. But the next month I realised I was wrong but now I was ready to face the world.. then next month I realised that last month I was wrong and only now was I ready to face the world. This went on for over three years... Or was it four?

What I am saying is that recovery is a bit like a half life decay... the big recovery happens in the first month,,, but you have only gone half way. The next month you go another half way from last month... and so it continues.

keep posting. If you want you can PM at any time.

AnxiousCarer Wed 25-Jan-17 09:14:40

Thank you flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now