Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do I find a good counsellor please?

(3 Posts)
2015newstart Tue 24-Jan-17 07:48:58

My GP says that I need help with anxiety management. I'm currently signed off work and not making good progress. Although she has referred me to the NHS counselling service they have referred me back to her, she suspects because of their internal targets. My options are to fight to obtain a referral (keep calling them until they pass me on, then get added to a lengthy waiting list) or go private. I can probably afford to go private, but how do I find a good counsellor? Can anyone please advise? I saw a counsellor before but didn't get anything from it - I don't want to pay for something that won't be any good but I am keen to get better and get back to work.

BursarsFrogs Tue 24-Jan-17 09:09:59

Hi. I see a private counsellor, and found her through The British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy's website: www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/ I had a free first appointment with her, to test the water and see if she felt right for me.

HonniBee Tue 24-Jan-17 09:13:32

I second what Bursar says. The first appointment/meeting should be free, for you both to test the waters. Definitely try until you find someone you feel comfortable with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now