Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Unexplained visions that something bad is going to happen. Quite scared.

(58 Posts)
KirstyPeach91 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:37:43

I have been having this problem since I was a child really, I'd see or hear an ambulance or fire engine and phone my mam and other family members to see if they were OK. Those sorts of things. But the past few months I've had awful visions, day dreams in a way - I lie in bed at night and as I am drifting off I am startled awake imagining my daughter going to the toilet and stumbling down the stairs. Or my son slipping whilst getting out of the shower and breaking an ankle.
I have these thoughts at random times of the day, I'll be at work and my phone will ring and the first thing that comes to my head is my partner or one of the kids has been hurt. I also imagine things happening to myself, being attacked or a bus careering onto the pavement.
It's becoming quite a scary thing and feel it is happening more and more.
I keep thinking I'm being stupid but these visions really have me shaken up and frightened. I'm becoming a wrap your kids in cotton wool mother and feel it's not fair.
I won't even let my kids come down stairs together incase they both trip or get washed/brush their teeth at the same time as I'm fearful they'll slip and one may crush the other.
What is wrong with me?!
Please any advice before I speak to a Dr and they think I've gone crazy!

Boombah Mon 23-Jan-17 22:39:31

I don't think you're crazy- anxious yes, crazy no.

Cryingandmorecrying Mon 23-Jan-17 22:41:33

Sorry to hear this OP, it sounds like you are suffering with anxiety. Sometimes our worries get out of control and we need to learn how to manage them. I think the GP should have heard about this before and they won't judge you or think you are silly. Make an appointment tomorrow. You have taken the first step here so just keep being brace flowers

KirstyPeach91 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:41:45

I am fearful of what treatment methods their can be for anxiety. I don't want to depend on medication but I really need to find a way to stop these thoughts

Cryingandmorecrying Mon 23-Jan-17 22:42:04

*brave not brace!

Cryingandmorecrying Mon 23-Jan-17 22:42:54

They might suggest medication for now whilst you get it under control, but I would push for talking therapies such as CBT

KirstyPeach91 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:43:41

Thank you, I've been so concerned about addressing this and kept it to myself despite having a good support network, I'm usually the strong, together one. Admitting this has me almost feeling like I am failing. I'm so grateful for the quick responses though thank you smile

PleaseHelp82 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:44:32

Hello,
Phoning family to make sure they are ok is like a panic attack as i have witnessed a friend doing this.

earlgreysandpuppies Mon 23-Jan-17 22:44:55

Intrusive thoughts op, go chat to a GP, you could potentially do with some therapy (they will offer you CBT) if that's what you want. I have a particular anxiety disorder and though mine are different the format is similar. Try and accept them and not fight them, sit with the anxiety and it will pass. Take care of yourself xx

auldfuckingspinster Mon 23-Jan-17 22:45:50

Cognitive behaviour therapy could help with unwelcome thoughts, that said don't be afraid of antidepressants- they gave me my life back after being taken over by anxiety.

KirstyPeach91 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:46:42

Thank you, it helps to know others have experienced similar and have proven ways of working through it, it gives me greater confidence to seek the help I need. And relieved to know I can do so via therapies etc.
Thanks again xx

KirstyPeach91 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:48:57

I sometimes feel like a fraud when I think about being put on ad's.. Like I need to thank my lucky stars for what I have and have no right to be depressed, but it's not depression as such I'm quite happy other than the regular stresses of life, I have a good one. But these thoughts occur daily and more than once. And to know I can have treatments both medicinal and therapeutic is a relief x

earlgreysandpuppies Mon 23-Jan-17 22:53:33

You're not alone op, plenty of people are suffering from similar things. My gp told me they offer something called sertraline for this type of anxiety. I hope your mind is eased a bit, be kind to yourself xx

Amandahugandkisses Mon 23-Jan-17 22:55:42

You have anxiety. You honestly should go to the GP and they can start the ball rolling on you getting help.

KirstyPeach91 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:58:59

I'm going to phone my GP tomorrow, I'm grateful for all of the responses and advice, I feel much more at ease than I did 20 minutes ago.
Thank you.
I really appreciate it x

Surreyblah Mon 23-Jan-17 22:59:22

I have anxiety and have these type of thoughts: I try very hard not to act on them, as it is likely to make the DC anxious, but sometimes can't manage it. It helps to remind myself that they are just dark, intrusive thoughts and will pass.

auldfuckingspinster Mon 23-Jan-17 22:59:43

Feeling anxious is natural when bad things are happening - it becomes a disorder when it crops up at other times. Absolutely no need to feel like a fraud Kirsty , no different to having a gammy leg and getting physio or taking painkillersflowers.

Munchkin1412 Mon 23-Jan-17 23:02:38

It sounds like a sort of OCD - intrusive thoughts. Agree with other posters about CBT etc. You may find just talking about it helps.

KirstyPeach91 Mon 23-Jan-17 23:05:29

I have become genuinely fearful taking steps to stop the thoughts becoming reality and that's how I know it's becoming a problem.
And that is so true. I am a carer and work with people who have both mentally and physically debilitating illnesses and I would never think they were a fraud for receiving treatment for an 'invisible illness' but I'm anxious about having anxiety!! It's a scary world when usually I'm one of these people who just brushes things aside or powers through. I'm usually giving this advice not seeking it and it's scary being on this end x

Needchange Mon 23-Jan-17 23:07:18

This happens to me, it's horrible, like I can't turn the thoughts off or get the pictures out my head and it makes me feel so uneasy I can't describe. I'm hoping it will ease off. It's quite debilitating when it happens.. sort of as if something bad has actually happened even though it hadn't. Hope it gets better for you to. X

KirstyPeach91 Mon 23-Jan-17 23:09:51

Needchange that's the same for me, it creeps up from no where and takes me a good while to shake the feeling. I hope you can get the support you need too.. And it's good to open up on here too at least we can help each other x

Greataunt48 Mon 23-Jan-17 23:21:15

If you had a condition such as diabetes would you feel a fraud because you needed medication? Anxiety is as much a condition as diabetes and NO ONE should feel guilty, useless, time wasting or any such thing because they are suffering from anxiety. But DO get help as soon as you can, because the sooner you do, the sooner you will regain control. Accept medication, because it does help, but insist that you want referral for CBT. Don't be fobbed off with just pills, because trained counsellors will help you. All the best to you / you WILL get through this and you have already taken the first step.

KirstyPeach91 Tue 24-Jan-17 06:51:15

I'm overwhelmed with the advice and support I've recieved from everyone on here and it has definitely made me see that it's not just me being weak or silly and that it really is anxiety.
I've been so wrapped up in reading the signs and symptoms on the Internet and because I don't have more than 2 I felt like I would never be taken seriously and like you say, fobbed off. I've felt increasingly self-conscious that other people could somehow tell and I don't want it to impact my family in a negative way. I've managed to keep it pretty hidden other than little things like making them come down stairs one after the other. And holding their hand as we walk to school - not so cool for my 11 yo son!! Thank you all again, I'm getting on phone to Dr as soon as it's open. Thanks again xx smile

KirstyPeach91 Tue 24-Jan-17 09:57:46

Dr's appointment on Friday 3rd of Feb gives me time to really put into words what I need to say as I try now and goes into a load of jumbled thoughts x

PenelopeNitStop Tue 24-Jan-17 10:11:57

Hi, I've read your thread and am so pleased that you have a GP appointment.

I had bad anxiety, with the same kind of intrusive thoughts. They were awful and paralysing, and the panic was horrendous. The thoughts went round and round in my head, and when I thought I had rationalised them, they kept going. It was an awful time of feeling very alone.

What helped initially was Sertraline. It quelled the anxiety enough that I was able to engage in CBT, which was brilliant.

I don't know if it helps, but I was taught that we all have different random thoughts in a day, floating through our brains, and the fact that we were noticing the worrying thoughts, didn't mean they were true. Kind of thoughts are not facts (obvious to you I bet, but I needed help to really get that). And if we try and stop the thoughts, they come back more. CBT taught me to look at the thought, think "meh, there's that thought again", and watch it drift away. Over time, they stopped.

I don't mean this as a me-rail. I just wanted to share because it can be so lonely having anxiety, and I don't want you to feel that.

Holding your hand with this OP flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: