Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram withdrawal

(13 Posts)
littleoysterslittleoysters Mon 23-Jan-17 14:16:33

I stopped taking citalopram 2 weeks ago after a year. I was taking 10mg down from 40mg.
I feel okay mentally but absolutely physically exhausted, which is tough with ds.
Anyone else have this? How long did it take to get your energy back?

fallenempires Mon 23-Jan-17 14:57:48

Over what time period did you cut down by? Are you switching onto another AD?

littleoysterslittleoysters Mon 23-Jan-17 16:19:29

Cut down over 6months but stopped suddenly at 10mg. No other AD. Mentally I feel okay so far. Just exhausted.

fallenempires Mon 23-Jan-17 16:41:03

Vitamin supplement might help,but there would be no harm in mentioning it to your GP.Glad to hear that your MH is back on track.smile

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Mon 23-Jan-17 17:24:24

When I did it I cut down from 10mg by cutting tablets in half (5mg) for about a month..
Then taking half every other day for the last month

It was a while back but I don't remember any bad effects. Now on Valproate Semi Sodium

CupOfTeaAndAbiscuitPlease Mon 23-Jan-17 17:50:05

How did you know that you were ready to come off it? I'm on 20mg and I'm not sure if they are actually "doing" anything

littleoysterslittleoysters Mon 23-Jan-17 19:57:36

Thanks for your comments. I was taking them for PND with extreme intrusive thoughts and had CBT that seemed to sort my head out. I realised that I have always been anxious and actually had OCD a lot of my life. Once I had realised all this I kinda stopped worrying about my weird thoughts and although they come I am able to say "Oh thats a weird thought..." and sort of move on. The CBT helped me get off the cycle of... Oh you are a bad mother for thinking these things... you disgusting woman.... etc etc...

I tried cutting down to 10mg every other day but got headaches so I just thought I would go cold turkey. I think they did help me in my acute phase of PND/Anxiety but I have put on almost 3stone in a year so really need to come off them before I pop. I'll be forever grateful to them though!

Its all been a very steep learning curve this year!

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Mon 23-Jan-17 21:18:18

I recently tried to cut from 10mg to 5mg, about 17-18 days in I felt terrible. Exhausted, super anxious and tearful. Keep an eye on yourself. Quite a few threads on this subject, from what I've read people say it seems to take 4-8 weeks to settle. I'm taking lots of vitamin supplements as someone else suggested. Lots of vitamin B! Good luck

littleoysterslittleoysters Mon 23-Jan-17 21:22:07

8 weeks... yuk... Thanks for the tip. Look after yourself...

Violetcharlotte Mon 23-Jan-17 21:29:41

I recently tried to cut down from 10mg to every other day. Within 2 weeks I was feeling awful, really tearful, anxious, thinking I was a terrible person, etc, so i went back to 10mg every day and now feel fine again. Maybe I should have persevered, but not brave enough.

Good luck with it and hope you start feeling better soon.

littleoysterslittleoysters Thu 26-Jan-17 13:13:28

Oh god I have felt so anxious all day and am ruminating on something that perhaps I could have done better at work yesterday. I had it checked by a senior and they said it was fine but what if i have buggered up? Why does my flipping brain worry so much? I will try and carry on. Music seems more interesting and I actually fancied a bonk the day before yesterday! why can't be brain just say "what will be will be stop worrying about that now"

littleoysterslittleoysters Thu 26-Jan-17 13:13:47

On the upside the flu like symptoms have gone!

CantGetNoSleeeeeeep Thu 26-Jan-17 21:37:25

Keep going! Try and listen to mindfulness meditation type stuff, really calms me down! It's so hard I know that feeling well. I always try and run those kind of thoughts past someone I trust to reassure me, maybe you could do that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now