Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Headspace app - any subscribers out there?

(16 Posts)
dollybird Mon 23-Jan-17 12:26:49

My GP recommended the Headspace app which is a meditation app, that she thought might be useful to help me deal with work stress (largely office environment related). There is a free 10 day meditaion which you can use as many times as you like, but you can subscribe for about £5 a month to get access to loads of other meditation sessions for different things like health, sleep, relationships etc. I just wondered if anyone else out there has used this app and subscribes - is it any good? I have found the free ones I've done so far useful for clearing my head and just enabling me to take time out away from everything.

dollybird Wed 25-Jan-17 07:28:35

Bump

dangermouseisace Wed 25-Jan-17 13:31:05

Sorry I don't but I'd be interested about anyone's experience (I've used the free bit)

naturalbaby Wed 25-Jan-17 13:42:37

I'm using it at the moment. It has some good extras like an sos clip which is only a few minutes to calm down when I'm at boiling point. One feature which I'm liking at the moment is it is a bit longer than the free sessions - it is like doing a course where there is improvement. It has different series for health, relationships, performance etc. and topics like sleep and commuting.

I'm not working so using it to deal with family life/relationship stress but need a lot of other things during the day/week e.g writing in a journal, exercising and counselling.

dollybird Wed 25-Jan-17 15:01:26

I like the idea of the walking one but can you only use it if you've got mobile data? I only have an iPod linked to the wifi. I'm generally a bit of a stresshead when things are busy at work or home, so I think it will be useful anyway. This is the first time though that I have felt ill through stress and it's only when I go into the office as I can work from home, but not practical to do so all the time. The office is so full of people and noise and the desks are too small that I feel dizzy and spaced out sad

Excusemyfrench Wed 25-Jan-17 15:06:53

Ive been using it for 2 weeks now and its really helped. I find meditating very hard, just trying to not let my mind go is incredibly hard but I try and since Ive started Ive had much less panic attacks.

Best of luck x

dollybird Wed 25-Jan-17 15:15:20

I do find myself dozing off a bit, but it gives me a breather between work ending and evening tasks beginning

AnxiousCarer Wed 25-Jan-17 15:50:29

I'm suscribing, I find it useful, but not sure yet if the extra features are worth it as I found the free bit useful and not sure I've got much more out of it yet. Have started using a guided relaxation cd my therapist gave me which I'm finding more useful and thats a one off £10 to download from www.nlpinthenorthwest.co.uk the one I've got is the Golden Core, which DH and I are both finding very helpful. To be honest I've not used headspace since I got this, should try usine both and see if things are even better!

moonoverthewater Wed 25-Jan-17 15:57:25

It's good but there are some other free apps which are good if you just search mindfulness

Ren81 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:37:43

I have used it for 2 years now...I LOVE IT. It is a lifesaver. I used to be constantly anxious and down, this is not a magical eraser but it helps to stop the endless useless chatter in my head.

Twozealotmorethan1 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:39:22

Are any of these apps useful or tailored for use following a bereavement do you know?

ImNotReallyReal Wed 25-Jan-17 21:01:02

I used it for six months, and it got so repetitive. I'd learned how to do it and didn't need the app at all. In all honesty I would find it disturbing to my meditation now. I don't need to count hours or complete modules, I meditate to clear my head.

TBH I'm not a fan, you can find other apps for free. Google the owner and net worth. Just do the free bit and practice yourself with free apps until you get the knack. Meditation is a great tool and should be free for all. That is the beauty of it.

I use it to reenergise, not to make me sleep. I find first thing in the morning best.

I use sleep podcasts to sleep if I want an early night as it's mindless rambling entertainment.

SpaghettiMoon Mon 30-Jan-17 21:35:28

@dollybird I have a promo code for free headspace - I can pm to you if you like (hopefully it will still work)

sugarmonster64 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:39:04

I had it for a year and it was ok but I stopped using it for a while for some reasons mentioned above - too repetitive, at the time not enough variety. I go back every so often and do the free take 10 meditations and have also used other free apps. But try the take 10 and if you don't subscribe straight away after that ends they sometimes send you discounts

Flanderspigeonmurderer Mon 30-Jan-17 21:45:36

I've only used the free app. It's ok, makes you stop and let go for ten minutes but I wouldn't say it's been transforming. I liked mood gym, it helped me change my thinking.

dollybird Tue 31-Jan-17 18:25:59

@Spaghettimoon I've already subscribed now as there was 2 months free. Thanks for the offer though! I may see if I can reclaim the cost through work given its the office that makes me feel ill sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now