Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Herbal anxiety relief

(13 Posts)
bear28 Thu 19-Jan-17 22:34:31

Long time lurker. Short time poster. I am looking for advice for a herbal remedy I can take to help with my anxiety. I am not on any medication at all just not sure which one to go for as there are so many. I've struggled with anxiety and panic attacks for years but have stopped going to the doctors about it due to such severe reactions to the medications. Looking to go down the herbal route. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks.

fallenempires Fri 20-Jan-17 13:30:19

Have you considered Rescue Remedy?
Supplements such as magnesium,fish oils and vitamins b are also,useful.

Cozytoesandtoast00 Fri 20-Jan-17 13:34:34

1tsp of magnesium citrate before bed. You can feel it working!

Jorrick Fri 20-Jan-17 13:34:58

I took St John's wort a good few years back. I took the tincture from vogel. It was brilliant, took a couple of weeks to work fully.

The gp gave me valium for the panic attacks. Just knowing that I had it kept them at bay.

Having anxiety and panic is awful, you have my complete sympathy.

LuckyBitches Fri 20-Jan-17 16:42:25

More sympathy from me too. Anxiety is shit. I control mine effectively with Sertraline, but it sounds like you've already gone down the pharmaceutical route?

The headspace app has a great meditation series on anxiety. Basically it teaches you to recognise anxiety and "note" it as a feeling or thought. This has taught me that anxiety is one of these, not an indication of actual danger. So I can sort of observe, rather than spiral into it. Does that make sense? Unfortunately the anxiety series is only available with a subscription, but there are free trials of basic meditation.

Best of luck OP

LuckyBitches Fri 20-Jan-17 16:43:57

Oh and to answer your question about herbs! I've found passiflora to be pretty useful, and Valerian would be the big guns. I actually found it a bit too effective - it took a while to work, but once it did I was so mellow I could see everything in soft focus. Not very practical.

Bloomed Fri 20-Jan-17 16:46:11

What form do you take magnesium citrate in? Is it liquid? I've been reading about relora which is a magnolia extract.

QuiltedAloeVera Fri 20-Jan-17 16:47:25

Another vote for valerian.

tormentil Fri 20-Jan-17 16:49:15

Not herbal - but Vitamin D3 gel capsules did more for me than anything I've tried for anxiety in the last 20 years. I buy Solgar brand, 5000iu dose.

Cozytoesandtoast00 Sat 21-Jan-17 10:24:16

It's in a powder and you mix it with water. You can buy it on amazon

Cozytoesandtoast00 Sat 21-Jan-17 10:25:04

Also agree with high dose vitamin D3. Especially essential in the winter...

Bloomed Sat 21-Jan-17 12:17:43

Great I'll try d3 and magnesium citrate.

bear28 Sun 22-Jan-17 16:24:37

Sorry for taking so long to respond... Never taken any supplements before or the rescue remedies so definitely worth a try.
Ive had valium for flying, once, it didn't make a difference, I'm not sure if it was because it was such a low dose or if i am just a machine! My anxiety/worrying/panic attacks didn't used to be so bad but now i am finding it is affecting day to day life and i get slightly paranoid and panicked about things completely out with my control like terror attacks and things like that. sounds so silly writing it down but in doing so i know i need something to help.
Also going to make an effort and try therapy/hypnosis, although i am not sure which one is the best to go for first. until then i will definitely be trying the vitamins and magnesium citrate and see how i get on. Thanks so much for the feedback from everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now